Building wet shower wall

Users who are viewing this thread

petemont

Reaction score
To replace some leaky pipes I had to demolish the wet wall in a basement bathroom shower stall. Two other walls are still solid with old fashioned tile in mud, and the mud/concrete shower floor is in place. I need to replace the wall with the plumbing in it and a new lip. The old wall was concrete block and tearing it down has left a floor jagged with the rough edges of the old block that was set down into the bathroom's concrete floor. I am planning to put up a frame wall with concrete board and tile.
I have a few questions:
1. What do I need to do to get a firm foundation for a new wall and lip - bust out the remaining concrete block and put some new concrete down so I have a flat service to attach a board to as a base for the new wall?
2. I've read about different ways to waterproof that wall - is there a consensus on best method? something to apply over concrete board?
3. How do I create a waterproof seal between my new wall (and new lip I need to build) and the existing shower floor?
Thanks for any suggestions - this is going to stretch my skills.

Attachments

• shower floor.jpg
    shower floor.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 442

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
To replace some leaky pipes I had to demolish the wet wall in a basement bathroom shower stall. Two other walls are still solid with old fashioned tile in mud, and the mud/concrete shower floor is in place. I need to replace the wall with the plumbing in it and a new lip. The old wall was concrete block and tearing it down has left a floor jagged with the rough edges of the old block that was set down into the bathroom's concrete floor. I am planning to put up a frame wall with concrete board and tile.
I have a few questions:
1. What do I need to do to get a firm foundation for a new wall and lip - bust out the remaining concrete block and put some new concrete down so I have a flat service to attach a board to as a base for the new wall?
2. I've read about different ways to waterproof that wall - is there a consensus on best method? something to apply over concrete board?
3. How do I create a waterproof seal between my new wall (and new lip I need to build) and the existing shower floor?
Thanks for any suggestions - this is going to stretch my skills.

Hi Pete. :)

Not quite sure what the plan is here... are you building a complete shower where there was one before? are you just replacing one wall in an existing shower? Do you see any signs of waterproofing of the existing shower walls or floor? If so, what are they? Maybe back up a few steps and snap a few more photos for us. I can see you're building over a concrete floor, is there a proper 2" trap & drain in there for the new shower build? If so, what material is it made of? Plastic, steel, cast iron, other? Lets start there and once we fill in some more blanks, we can continue with specific advice for your shower build.

This is the best site for detailed plumbing help, but you do know there are better sources for building tiled showers, right? For instance, http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1 has a wealth of info from pro's from around north America and the world. Don't be discouraged by some here who will make ad hominem attacks on just about anyone or anything, some of us are hear to help folks no matter what. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could get by with a full mudbed walls/pan on a slab that will not pass codes today, nor meet the best practices. While some places still ignore this, plumbing code calls for the pan waterproofing to extend to at least 3" above the height of the curb...if you've got two walls still intact, no way you're going to do that unless you tear out at least enough tile and walls up to that point all around. By the time you've gone that far, it is probably better to just gut the whole thing and start over. How you do that, is up to you, there is definitely more than one approved method, and lots of different materials out there that can produce a long-lasting, reliable shower.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Pete, we need more expanded photos.. From what I can see you should continue to demo and start fresh...Do not let Dhagins remarks above discredit the reason you came here to terrys site.

Jim, kudos ...you show great progress here , abstaining from your usual . It has not gone unnoticed.

Dana , you are digressing and typing childish. Way to bash terrys site, discredit many good folks here, and redirect to texas. You sir are clearly frustrated and its showing in your typing.

Just for the record:
Here is a copy of Danas or Dhaging signature line as of today....just in case he deletes it when he comes to.....

*Welcome to one of the many unmoderated forums on the www. You'll find a lot of BS here, from folks with low opinions of themselves and others. Those who's parents failed us when bringing up these children.
*The good news; be patient and sift through it and you'll find some real gems. Most of these are from the actual plumbers here, some from a few of the other visitors. Be wary of the rest. Best o' luck.
*Please don't feed or quote trolls. thank you. :)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of budget you're working with, but if you want a good looking shower, demolish this shower and start from scratch.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
.... Dana , you are digressing and typing childish. Way to bash terrys site, discredit many good folks here, and redirect to texas. You sir are clearly frustrated and its showing in your typing. ....

Counter Balance - Dana is a Moderator on the John Bridge tile forum. Google the guy. All you find is posts like Jims and links to a shut down company. Do any of the moderators on the John Bridge forum even work in the tile or bathroom business?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Doug I would like to add if you follow all of the company's specifications perfectly you will have a perfect shower...

Your welcome. No need to thank me for that tie bit....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Now that's some real specific advice! Spoken by a man of many words - most of them empty :)

Until he decides on a build method, there is no specific way to resolve that. The TCNA handbook covering acceptable shower builds is like 30-pages, and then, once you select the method, you have the specific manufacturer's instructions...so, mister smarty pants...how do you give any specific information in that situation until a bit more decision making has been made. I could tell him what I'd do, but then, you'd ignore it entirely, but, the advice isn't for you, and, that is one person's opinion...this is a forum, where multiple viewpoints can be aired...And, what use was your post except to be disrespectful. It did not provide anything useful to the discussion in the least. So, assuming you believe what your wrote, don't throw stones...

In any shower build, there are two general types...surface membranes or conventional liner. They each have their advantages and limitations. Once you understand both of those general principles of construction technique, then it becomes a choice of materials selection.

DougB

Reaction score
so, mister smarty pants...how do you give any specific information in that situation until a bit more decision making has been made. I could tell him what I'd do, but then, you'd ignore it entirely, but, the advice isn't for you, and, that is one person's opinion...this is a forum, where multiple viewpoints can be aired...And, what use was your post except to be disrespectful.

Well first of all, you need not answer just any post.

Seems you are driven to answer him, even though he doesn't have a complete thought or plan. So why answer the guy? Why not just give him 'a little more rope'. And then he may expalin his situation.

Maybe you really don't understand - a lot of people think what you have to offer is BS.

Do you have a wife? I doubt it. If you do - is she deaf? If not, I pity her.

DougB

Reaction score
..............In any shower build, there are two general types...surface membranes or conventional liner. They each have their advantages and limitations. Once you understand both of those general principles of construction technique, then it becomes a choice of materials selection............................................................................

Is this a sermon?

You are not a 'tool' you're the entire 'tool box'!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is this a sermon?

You are not a 'tool' you're the entire 'tool box'!

That's funny.

Jim should consider politics I think.

My favourite quote from him is.....

When built properly the shower will work perfectly.......

This spamming of Jim's does raise a good point. You need to pick a system and then commit. I work backwards personally....

What type of tile will we be using?

What type of thin-set does it require?

What type of thin-set does the tile man require?

Are they the same? (Most times a high quality modified thin-set is required).

What waterproofing systems are available?

The Basics....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks