Building drain to sewer: ABS vs cast iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
What needs to be done to run ABS under newly poured concrete slab perimeter in terms of protection for the pipe? What about ABS penetrations through the slab? Do these need to be wrapped with a sleeve and if so what sort is it? Also, is it the regular ABS or something special?

Also, for going from building drain to side sewer the original drain was buried cast iron under the slab. What is recommended for replacement? Is ABS preferred over cast iron in terms of longevity?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; run ABS under newly poured concrete slab perimeter in terms of protection for the pipe? What about ABS penetrations through the slab? Do these need to be wrapped with a sleeve and if so what sort is it? Also, is it the regular ABS or something special?

Other than the type of ABS, which there is only one grade, all the others can be local requirements that your plumber should know the answers to .

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks HJ, I will check with the AHJ.

Let me ask this instead: if the stack is going to be cast iron, would you recommend cast iron all the way out to the sewer (i.e. new slab penetration and buried in soil beneath foundation) OR would you transition to ABS at the bottom (supporting the stack otherwise) and run ABS out to the sewer?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think PVC is any better than ABS. They are chemically different materials, but to my knowledge, there is no functional difference.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CI can last a very long time...somewhat depends on your soil chemistry and what you run down it. If you used nohub, and support it properly, the joints shouldn't leak and provide a leak that attracts roots. Regardless of the type, you need to grade and compact the trench properly or you can get areas that settle and create either a flat spot or a belly which will affect the flow and promote clogs. Either of the plastics are less sensitive to leaking, assuming you properly make the coupling joints. Depending on how deep it needs to be, the plastic is not as strong as the CI, and if a large truck or something were to drive over it in the lawn, you may crack the plastic, but it would also be possible to break the CI. Neither has a high likelihood of happening, but it is possible. I think it's easier to snake the plastic line since stuff doesn't tend to stick to it as hard as it can on CI, but have no experience as to whether that is a big consideration or not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks