Building drain support above grade

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mrd, Nov 28, 2010.

1. mrd

mrd New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    de, us
    I have a 3in building drain running about 6in or so above grade in a tall crawlspace. The floor joists are 3-1/2 feet above the pipe. What's the best way to support the drain?

I was considering using concrete blocks every 4', but I'm wondering if there's a chance the ground may settle. Plumbers tape hanging down 4' seems flimsy. Maybe tack a 2x4 vertically from the joists, with a strap at the end to the pipe..?
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Jan 5, 2008
    Test, Don't Guess!
    Land of Cheese
    I would use a clevis hangar supported by threaded rod.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Plumber's tape hanging from the joists may LOOK flimsy, but it will support more weight than that line will ever create.
  5. bsperr

bsperr Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Athens, GA
    You can also cut a v-notch into some 1*4 pickets secured vertically from the joists and strap the waste pipe into those with some plumber's tape.