Building addition over well cap

Users who are viewing this thread

shempferd

Reaction score
Hello. New guy here.

Im planning on building an addition to my garage which will cover my well head. Im trying to come up with solutions that will allow the well head to be flush mounted or below grade with a cover to allow a continuous flat floor. I live in IL and read well pits are not allowed. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The reason a well head is required to be above ground is to prevent ground or flood water from entering the well. The only approved method I am aware of would be to follow the proper abandonment procedure, which would require permanently sealing the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would use a pitless adapter, and bring the casing and well cap is up to within a couple inches of the slab grade. Build a recess in the concrete to lay a flat piece of steel over the hole, so it is flush with the concrete. If your slab is 12” above grade, this would leave your casing 10” above grade. I think this would technically not be considered a pit. The biggest problem I have with these type wells is getting the pipe pulled out through the ceiling. Poly pipe you can bend and take out the door, but steel or PVC would need to have a roof hatch to pull the pipe through.

shempferd

Reaction score
Yep, it will be over concrete. It will also be a tall building so I figure I may have enough room to pull the pump. Whats the typical pipe length? Do you need access to get down to the pitless adapter to disconnect the pipe going into the house?

So I was thinking about putting a watertight cap on it with a snorkel vent and running the snorkel vent under the concrete and up along the wall. Would a watertight cap keep a fuel spill from entering the well? Im sure thats what is at issue here.

Thanks again

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some states have minimum setbacks from building foundations and wells. My state only allows a well house to be built over a well. If you ever plan to sell or if you would ever need an approved well, it is something to think about. The reason for this minimum set back is the termite treatment. So if you do build over it anyway, I would not treat for termites. I know a builder that bulldozed the corner of his garage so his well could meet minimum setback requirements. He had to have an approved well to foster a child that he and his wife were in the process of adopting.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Well drop pipe is often sold in 20 foot lengths. The top of the well must be accessible to remove the pump and piping from the well for service

When the supply pipe or electric wire from the well to the house fails, (and it will) you would have to break up the slab to replace the pipe and/or wiring. What you are proposing is not a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks