Building a shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

jrodela

Reaction score
I plan on installing a mortar bed shower pan with a liner in it. The one thing I'm curious about is the finish mortar bed. After pre-sloping a mortar bed beneath the liner, do I additionally need to slope the finish bed or can I put in a 1 1/4 inch layer following the slope of the previous bed? It seems to me as long as the finish bed has a 1/4" per foot slope that should do.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The setting bed should be the same thickness all over; in other words, parallel to the sloped liner. If you haven't checked it out, check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling help. The areas most people mess up is locking the bottom layer of cbu and vapor barriers over the liner plus dam corners and properly making the curb. All of those items are covered over at that site, and lots of tiling pros for help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
liner

The shower floor has to pitch to the drain, regardless of whether it has the same slope as the subfloor or not. I am not sure if I understand the reason for the question, however, because you would not install the tile on a level plane.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks