Building a hair salon

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mhaines, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mhaines

mhaines New Member

I need some advice, I'm an average DIYer, but this has me puzzled. I installed 3 sinks in a salon last week. I had a licensed plumber install the drains, feed lines and vents. When I installed the sinks they did not line up with the drains in the walls and the drains were lower than the exit from the p-trap. So from the exit of the p-trap I installed a 45 on an angle twords the drain and then another 45 at the drain and ran a piece of pvc pipe between the two... This seemed to me to be the easiest thing to make the drain and the p-trap come together.

Yesterday the plumbing inspector showed up and said that this was "very, very bad", making the owner of the salon panic... what did I do wrong? He is saying that the drain is going up? I should have taken pictures when I was there today, and I will before I start over on Sunday.:confused:
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

The trap arm needs to head directly to the T in the wall...If the sinks pop up tail piece is to high use a tail piece extension to reach the trap then go directly to the wall with a little pitch...
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Absent pictures, can you post a drawing or something? Having a hard time picturing what you did.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If the drain was too high, you'd have a real problem, but since the drain is lower than the P trap, all you need is the extension that Cass spoke of. In theory you need a slope of 1/2" per foot on a drain, but for the short distance from the P trap to the drain, you don't have to get too finite about that, just don't go up to the drain nor make it too steep of a pitch which is what you have now.
  5. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

It sounds to me like you did the opposite of what most do when plumbing a p-trap that isn't at the right height.

The exit from the p-trap should go straight into the wall (meaning a lower height than you have now on the p-trap), then you will have a gap or shortage coming from the tailpiece on the sink that won't reach the top of the p-trap. Like Cass said then you just extend the vertical tail-piece down with a tail-piece extension.

I'm just a DIY'er, not a pro. Pics would help just incase we're not getting something specific to your installation
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Hair washing sinks can be quite deep. It sounds to me like you went from the p-trap and angled up to get to the connection in the wall. Well, if so, that is a major pain...the connection in the wall needs to be lowered. As said, you can't go UP from the outlet of the p-trap.

Unless you can shorten the tailpiece of the sink to raise the p-trap location, the only way to fix this is to get the plumber to lower the connection in the wall.

A picture would really help...
  7. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

You shouldn't do plumbing.

It sounds to me you need an extension tail piece. Next, under no circumstance should the owner of a comercial business do any type of plumbing other than a basic faucet repair. I can also assume that the plumbing contractor pulled permits for the job. He should of completed the job from start to finish. You may have to pay some extra money out of pocket. I hope you learn from this experience.
  8. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

When we did a grease trap replacement I recall when I was doing some studying that a hair salon/barbershop needs a sediment trap or something along those lines...¿
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drains

What is a DIYer doing plumbing in a commercial establishment. In most cases even the proprietor cannot do it himself unless he owns the building, and then HE has to do the work he cannot hire someone else. You need hair traps on the shampoo sinks, not P traps.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

You upward turn created an unvented s-trap.
    As HJ stated you also need hair traps installed, and being unlicensed you have no business plumbing in a commercial establishment. The hair salon owner needs to get the original plumber back to complete the job!