Build-up on top of water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

AlGreen

Reaction score
I have very little experience with water heaters, including what's normal and what's not. Which category does this build-up fall into?
2016-09-20 13.58.37.jpg
20160920_135704.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The copper and the galvanized aren't happy with each other. The galvanized loses that battle. You may have a small leak there, helping things to rust.

AlGreen

Reaction score
The copper and the galvanized aren't happy with each other. The galvanized loses that battle. You may have a small leak there, helping things to rust.

Ah, ok. Makes sense. Is there anything I can do about this that doesn't require calling someone to replace a pipe?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ah, ok. Makes sense. Is there anything I can do about this that doesn't require calling someone to replace a pipe?

How old is the water heater? If it's over ten years old, I wouldn't bother spending much time or money on it.
They don't often last longer than 15 years.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
there is not much you can do for this , I would leave it alone
also it might be a good idea to place a shim or leg under that thermal
expansion tank down to the top of the heater,,,
to displace the weight and stress on the copper pipes...
If that expansion tank is already water logged it weighs about 25 lbs and can be part of the issue being something that is causing extra stress on the pipes...at that joint...

Attachments

• 1514.jpg
    1514.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 184

AlGreen

Reaction score
there is not much you can do for this , I would leave it alone
also it might be a good idea to place a shim or leg under that thermal
expansion tank down to the top of the heater,,,
to displace the weight and stress on the copper pipes...
If that expansion tank is already water logged it weighs about 25 lbs and can be part of the issue being something that is causing extra stress on the pipes...at that joint...

I didn't know they can get that heavy. Does it matter if I shim it with a piece of wood?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Yea, a peice of wood works fine..... anything to displace the weight to the heater instead
of all the weight being transferred to the fitting arm.... Anything will work as long as you dont
cram too large a piece in there....

You can hang a piece of bailing wire down from the ceiling rafters and loop it around the tank a few times if you so choose.... I prefer the shim

If you see that heater you notice that I use
a peice of pvc pipe to firm up the arm under the thermal tank.....

Tom098

Reaction score
For nothing:
Watts used to recommend locating the TET 24" from the W/H.

Whats happening with the Draft Hood Connector - the image isn't the best on my monitor but the connector seems "odd"?

The plastic rings at the tappings appear distorted - perhaps there's a venting issue?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks