Buderus GB142 - no power

Users who are viewing this thread

Friolator

Reaction score
It's getting chilly out, so I decided to run the heat and make sure it's all working properly before winter. We have a single zone Buderus GB142 boiler (natural gas), installed in 2006 or 2007. It has an outdoor reset unit that has been, at times, a bit flaky (turned out to be a loose control wire, easy enough to fix). But otherwise, it's been a pretty good boiler.

In any case, I turned on the programmable thermostat and waited. no heat. So I went downstairs, and both the outdoor reset and the Buderus are dead. The control panel on the buderus does nothing when it's turned on (normally you get a simple status screen with error codes, etc). The LCD on the outdoor reset is blank - no power to that at all.

The main power switch to the boiler is on, and that junction box also has an outlet for the condensate pump. There's power to the outlet. I tested the outgoing wire from the switch with one of those cheap electric sensors (the kind that beep when you get close to a live wire), and it's showing there's juice coming out of the switch.

In the past (I think, it's been a while), when the outdoor reset had a loose control cable, the boiler didn't turn on. I can't recall if the unit was this unresponsive though. I'm wondering if the outdoor reset unit is shot, or if it's something bigger.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need an "on the spot diagnosis" from a plumber.
It could be the outdoor reset unit - that should be your starting point.
Igniter?
gas valve?
dirt and spider web in the orifice?
Thermostat? or power to the T-stat (transformer)?
Control board?

Let us know what you found out.

Friolator

Reaction score
There is *no* power to the GB142. The control panel is off, even though the power switch is on. the AM10 outdoor reset is similarly off - the LCD screen normally tells you the outside temp and some other stuff, and it's blank. It's as if the whole thing was disconnected electrically.

I'm going to take a look inside the junction box where the main power switch is tonight, to see if there's power leaving the switch. I know there's electricity to that box because the duplex outlet in it works, and I believe that's all one circuit from the breaker for both the outlet and the main shutoff switch for the unit.

I don't think the thermostat, igniter, gas valve or any of the other stuff (except the control board, maybe) is related, since we're not even getting power to the unit right now.

it's not that it won't heat, it's that it's not even powered on.

Friolator

Reaction score
Ok, I think I may have it figured out.

I opened the junction box for the main power shutoff, and confirmed that there's power coming out of the switch. Then I opened up the boiler and checked power at the point where the wires attach to the unit. That's all good. So then I started pulling other stuff off. The fuse on that same interface is fine (the one where the power connection and the circulator pump power are connected).

After digging around in the manual, it was suggested I check the fuse on the UBA3 unit. Sure enough the fuse is dead. So off to the hardware store tomorrow to grab a replacement, and it looks like an extra blanket tonight.

I'll post back here tomorrow night if this does the trick.

Last edited:

Friolator

Reaction score
New fuse installed and now it powers on, but I'm getting an error code "3L" on the display after a couple minutes. After digging around it sounds like I need to replace the blower fan module to clear this. Other forum posts have indicated that a blown fan also blew the fuse in the UBA3 unit, so my guess is this is what I'm looking at.

I've found a few fan modules online for about $330 - any suggestions on the best place to buy something like this quickly (and ideally, cheaply?)

If anyone is in the Boston area and can recommend a plumbing/heating supply house that stocks Buderus parts, that would be awesome. I'm guessing I'll have to order this online though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The US headquarters for Buderus is in Londonderry, NH...worst case, you drive up there! I'd give them a call, and maybe they can tell you who closer may have what you need.

Friolator

Reaction score
Well, that's certainly convenient. I didn't realize that! I spent a couple hours trying to get someone at FW Webb to call me back, since they have locations in and around Boston and came up on google searches for buderus parts. When I finally did talk to someone at their location in South Boston, he told me they wouldn't sell to me because I'm not in the trade. So, that's some great customer service right there.

I run a business and we deal mostly with other businesses, but we have no problem doing work for folks who come in off the street and do things for them all the time. I just can't wrap my head around why you would willingly turn down an easy $350 sale (fan + seal kits + venturi). I mean, sell it to me for retail if you want, but to outright say you won't sell to me at all is just dumb.

Anyway, I wound up getting it from the plumbing/heating supply place my dad uses in Vermont for his rental properties. I'll have all the parts here tomorrow, cheaper and faster than I could have gotten them online. Oh, and the people there were super nice. Looks like I'll be doing this saturday AM. Nice that the service manuals for these boilers are readily available online too. Looks like about a pretty simple job.

Reach4

Reaction score
Homeowners showing up at a factory demanding customer service at that location?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Homeowners showing up at a factory demanding customer service at that location?
You'd obviously need to call them first, best to find out a local stocking dealership, and then, as a last resort, after talking to them, stop in, or have them ship direct (either to a local shop or direct). But, from Boston, they're about maybe 40-miles up the interstate...the phone lines easily connect!

Buderus stuff is mostly made in Europe...I doubt there's much 'factory' there.

Friolator

Reaction score
Quick update: The fan arrived on Friday and on Saturday AM, I replaced it. The whole process took about 15 minutes, and when I powered it back on, the fault codes were gone. Heat is back on now.

Anyone looking for a dead fan to repair, hit me up!

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks