Bubble Bubble Sink, not shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hey All,
First, sorry about the pics. No photo editting software on this PC. I think i know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask anyways. Back in August, I remodeled the bathroom and only in the past couple weeks am I having some gurgling in the sink. After the first use in the mornings, there is a little sewer smell. Because I had not been the first person to mess with plumbing in this bathroom, I had some unusual things to contend with--I found PVC, cast, copper and steel dwv. Heh The sink and shower share a vent that had originally been from the old sink. The pipe on the right hanging down is to go to the shower drain vent. The shower drains just fine, no bubbles, no smell, it's great. The sink and shower drain merge right before the main stack. The sink drains quickly and there is still water in the trap when done. As a test, I filled the sink to the rim and let it out...no gurglling, but then it happened the next time a little water was used :( I opened the p-trap and nothing was in it and I stuffed a coat hanger as far up into the vent pipe as I could and it seemed fine. So, I'm guessing there is a partial blockage in the 6-8feet of vent between where the sink drains and the shower vent joins. What could be in there? (No thats not a load bearing wall that I hacked to pieces -- Bathroom looks nice now, but I pity the fool who remodels it again in the next 80 years)

Thx
Jason
plumb1.JPG

plumb2.JPG

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The old Galv. vents are fameous for filling with rust. That is what it sounds like. Being in a perpetual state of dampness they just rust until they close up usualy at the bottom of a long drop. You can try running a small snake backwards and see how far you can go or replace it with PVC. Does it go into an attic or to a 2nd floor?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Well, the shower ties into that same galvanized vent and it drains fine, but maybe it's close enough to the stack to not really need the vent (maybe five feet). The vent, I assume continues horizontally and joins the stack behind and above the toilet. I don't see it in the attic, so I don't think it goes up anymore. This is the 2nd floor.

Thx
Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks