Brown / orange ring around drain in new Kohler sink

Users who are viewing this thread

PK

Reaction score
Hi,

I installed a Kohler Memoirs pedestal sink in August. By October, there was a clearly noticeable brown or dark orange ring around the drain. The ring is about 1/4" wider than the drain flange. We have well water, but we have it tested regularly and it always comes back clean and clear.

We have no staining elsewhere in the house, even in 30-year-old sinks and toilets. The Toto toilet we installed at the same time is still pristine - both bowl and tank. A Toto pedestal sink and toilet we installed in another bathroom 2.5 years ago are both still pristine as well.

Kohler advised us to clean the ring with Comet, and repeat if necessary. I did, with more than 5 repeat attempts. The ring lightened a little, but it's still there and it's not going anywhere.

We really like the style of the sink, but we're not willing to live with an unsightly ring in it. We recognize that means we probably need to replace the sink basin or the entire sink. So here's the question:

Is it possible that we happened to have a Kohler Memoirs basin with a unique issue, or would this same situation likely arise if we replace it with another one just like it? If another Memoirs basin won't be successful, are there other models or brands that would stay clean and white like the rest of the fixtures in our bathrooms?

Thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is usually more a case of the drain fitting or the sealant used on it making the stain. Whether it is "permanent" cannot be determined until the drain is removed to see if the ring can be cleaned up. IF it is a problem with the sink itself, Kohler will probably give you a replacement after inspecting it. You would have to pay someone to install the new sink or do it yourself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF there was a defect in the glaze around that point, it could discolor. Most drain assemblies are about the same diameter, but if yours is smaller, it may not cover that area well. Maybe a different drain would cover it. If there were a problem with the glaze, the plumber's putty (which contains oil in most of them) might have leached into the porcelain and stained it. Normally, this isn't an issue.

PK

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I'm not too concerned about whether it's a warranty issue or not. The more important issue for me is eliminating the discoloration and making sure it's not a recurring problem.

Another drain might be able to cover it, but it would have to be at least 1/2" larger in diameter, and that would look a little odd. If nothing else works, however, that may be an option.

If there were a defect in the glaze, that would mean another basin exactly like this one might not have it and might work successfully. How would I figure out whether that's the case? I don't mind replacing the sink once, but I sure don't want to do it over and over again if I'm not eliminating the problem.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The problem is either the drain or the material used to seal it, unless there is a problem with YOUR sink, but it would not be something that happens to ALL their sinks like that, or they would have a major recall on their hands. Contact Kohler and tell them the problem. If it is a sink defect they will take care of it. Which sink do you have??

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You dismissed your water as the cause but, brown/orange says iron in the water that then oxidizes in the groove around the drain in the sink until the water evaporates, depositing the rust that is caused by soluble (ferrous) iron oxidizing into rust (ferric iron).

Comet is an abrasive type cleaner and that will cause microscopic scratches in the sink material and allow rust to get a better grip making it more difficult to remove.

Buy some Iron Out or Super IO at the grocery/hardware store and close the sink drain, add like a 1/2" of water and sprinkle a small amount of IO into the water and let stand for 30 minutes or until the stain lightens and repeat until it's gone. If needed, stir the water to dissolve all the IO and if it won't add water until it does. You can use hot water to do this.

If this works, drying the area around the drain after using the sink will prevent a return of the stain until you take care of the iron in your water.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am glad gary brough up the iron thing. That is actually the first thing I though of. Most of us with some mileage on our sorry carcas have seen sinks and tubs in house piped with galv. Any drip from a spout leaves that tell-tale reddish/brown stain on the porcelain.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Perhaps you can get it all cleaned up and polished and then take RAIN X and coat the sink with it. RAIN X is for car windshields, a great product. It should not bother the chrome on the sink drain.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That bacteria normally is sort of slimy, and would clean off with the cleanser, so I don't think it is that. I get it in my toilets, and it scrubs off easily (maybe the CEFIONTECT (CeFiONtect) helps!?). It often takes 3-4 weeks to come back with enough to see. I'm sure I don't kill or remove it all, that's why it comes back, but abrasion easily cleans it off the surface. Now, if that area is missing glaze and it gets into the pores of the porcelain or china...maybe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks