bronze fittings and copper fittings

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by lmei007, Feb 9, 2012.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

when will you use bronze fittings, such as cast bronze tee, when will you use copper tees in a copper pipe hot water heating system?
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Check my reply on the ridgid forum as i am not going to retype it all here !
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

[h=2]By the magic of cut an paste, here is jerrymacs dissertation!
    For DIYfun, you may be confusing wrot copper or cast copper fittings, with brass , or bronze. No problem using ANY of those. Brass is more expensive, bronze fittings are not readily sold in this market and would be VERY expensive.

[​IMG] Re: bronze fittings and copper fittings[/h]
    you have your terms mixed up, plumbers do not use bronze pipe fittings they use " brass " fittings
    if i am running a copper water system then i use all copper fittings
    but if you are talking about a hydronic heating system then i might use brass fittings
    the main difference between the two is cost as the brass cost more
    on the other hand if i was trying to finish a solder job and all i had was brass fittings then i would use them rather then taking time to go get copper fittings

4. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Thank you JIMBO
    for the assit should of thought of that myself
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. lmei007

lmei007 Member

The cast bronze is the label I copied from Lowes.

I found all the tees in my existing hot water heating system are "cast bronze". I noticed those "cast bronze" tees are more expensive. The copper tees are easier to solder and cheapier. So I was thinking there must be a reason for a plumber to use hard to handle and more expensive fittings.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; So I was thinking there must be a reason for a plumber to use hard to handle and more expensive fittings.

Not really. He may just have them handy, and some specific hydronic fittings only come in cast brass/bronze. Just because Lowes CALLS them cast bronze, does not necessarily mean that is what they are.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012