Broken water heater & plastic drain valve

Users who are viewing this thread

chouchou

Reaction score
I recently had a flood in my apartment when the plastic drain valve on the water heater got bumped and it broke off. The landlord claims it was my fault but I don't think it was. The water heater was over 12 years old (never serviced during the 12 years I lived there), and the plastic on the valve was brittle.
I'd like some opinions on whose "fault" this was, from a plumber's point of view. Are plastic valves more apt to snap off than metal? Does the age of the water heater make a difference? Is the fact that it hadn't had any maintenance by the landlord a factor?
Thank you!
chouchou

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
brittle plastic valves..

Rheem had a bunch of greyesh brown plastic drain valves
on a lot of older water heaters,,, they would get very brittle where they were threaded into the water heater...

lots of them will break of ffrom just something like a broom
drops on them....

then you have a massive flood....

that is why they went with brass valves...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know how you can prove how the valve actually was broken. Point is, it is broken so now what? I replaced my heater's plastic valve with a ball valve. Makes flushing the tank much easier. To do it, you'll have to remove the broken piece from the tank. If you damage the threads while doing that, you will need to chase them to be sure the new piece will screw in and seal. With that valve, I can dump a bunch of water in a hurry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks