Broken underground 2inch PVC repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve1911

Reaction score
Can I repair this with a Fernco Coupler? If so should it be banded or just rubber? Are there any other specifications about Fernco's that I may need to know in regard to this repair?

If Fernco's are not an option what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance. image.jpg

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it water or drainage? If drainage then yes furnco's will work, if its water then either glued repair couplings or compression repair couplings will be required.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If this is an irrigation mainline, then it will be subject to pressure. There is a coupler that is available at an irrigation supply that will allow you to cut the break out, and install the repair coupler. These will withstand pressure. Simple to use and not expensive. I'd use one even on a drain line because they are so easy to install.

I did a Google search for "PVC repair coupler" and found these couplers. 2" size $14.00. Made by Lasco and probably other companies if you look around.

Last edited:

Steve1911

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is the main supply to the house. I think I will just glue in a repair coupling.

Steve1911

Reaction score
Unfortunately the compression fitting leaked. Maybe to much pressure. Now I have installed a slip repair coupling. image.jpg
I'm waiting for the solvent to dry, I was told by a plumber to use the blue rain or shine variant and let it cure for 2 hours or so, then turn the water on slow with a faucet open to let the air escape.

If this does not work, I guess it will be four 90 degree elbows.

Themp

Reaction score
Terry once told me instead of four 90 degree elbows, just use two and make it like a step. You have to dig back a little ways on each end of the pipe to allow for bending, but this works well. You have to fix it in two dimensions instead of one. I would not use any slip coupling to fix this since it is the water supply line to the house. This will fail again with the slip.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry once told me instead of four 90 degree elbows, just use two and make it like a step. You have to dig back a little ways on each end of the pipe to allow for bending, but this works well. You have to fix it in two dimensions instead of one. I would not use any slip coupling to fix this since it is the water supply line to the house. This will fail again with the slip.

This is what they are designed for. As long as there is no ability for the pipe to move horizontally you will be fine.

Steve1911

Reaction score
The slip repair coupling is working so far. I let cure for 3 1/2 hours then back filled around the fitting to prevent any movement then turned on the water slowly with faucets on inside to release air. Now the supply lines to the house are filled and no leaks so far, about 2 hours . I think I will leave the ground open for a day or two to make sure no leaks pop up in the immediate future unless that's not a wise thing to do.

Thanks to everyone for there shared information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks