broken terra cotta sewer line!

Users who are viewing this thread

schoolboy

Reaction score
I was digging a footer for my deck and broke a good chunk off, a piece about 4x6 inches, the side of the terra cotta (pretty sure that's what it is) sewer line running down the hill behind my house.

My next step: Dig out all around the break to make way for repairs>

My question:
1. Once I've cleared around the break, how should I repair it? If repairing the pipe requires me to cut before and after the break to get clean edges, what is the best way to cut cut terra cotta?
2. If I decide to ask a plumber to do the pipe work after I've done all the digging, what is a reasonable price range?

See the photo below. I will see any responses posted within about 18 hours after this post.

Thanks!
-Zach

DSCN0212.JPG

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That's Vitrified Clay Pipe.
Dig the hole level with the bottom of the pipe do not over excavate the hole depth.
This will keep the repair from settling and creating a sag in the pipe.
Make the hole long enough that the plumber has plenty of room on either side of the break and there is plenty of pipe for him to work with.

If you do decide to do it yourself a chain snapper soil pipe cutter works very well to cut vitrified clay pipe, a plumber would have one.
Getting the right size banded couplings can be difficult to adapt PVC to vitrified clay. A plumber will know what to use.

I would put in a cleanout as part if the repair...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You asked about price, but you're not likely to get much of an answer on that. Reason is, plumbing rates can vary widely from place to place and no one is going to venture a guess based on a picture or two. Even a local plumber will likely give you a range prices depending on what he encountered while actually doing the job. Usually the best thing to do is to get two or three estimates and go from there. As a DIY myself, I will tell you I wouldn't mess with this repair myself. Done right and it will be fine forever, but screwed up and you'll have a clogged sewer line problem forever.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Digging the hole is the hard part. A plumber would use his snap cutter to remove the broken section, then insert a piece of PVC/ABS pipe using "Fernco" style, (not banded), couplings. One hour and some parts is all it should cost.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Digging the hole is the hard part. A plumber would use his snap cutter to remove the broken section, then insert a piece of PVC/ABS pipe using "Fernco" style, (not banded), couplings. One hour and some parts is all it should cost.

We have to use banded in many towns here...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks