broken shower nozzle arm

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by danbbbb, Sep 15, 2008.

1. danbbbb

danbbbb New Member

My shower was leaking at the tile wall and when I twisted the nozzle to remove the shower nozzle arm, it broke off flush with the 90 degree fitting it screws into. So now there is about an inch of threaded nozzle still in the fitting and there is only about a 2 inch opening in the tile to get at it. Any ideas on how to remove it?

thanks
    dan
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Usually you do not have the tool to do it and since it could be expensive to get one if you knew where to find it, it may be safer to call a plumber before you damage the pipe in the wall and have to call him for a worse problem.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I usually get them out through the existing hole in the wall or, make it slightly larger but still small enough that the escutchion will cover it then by catching a piece of the thread and break it inward then grab it with pliers or, small vise grips continue round and round carefully breaking it inward without breaking it off. Kinda like opening a sardine can... It ends up looking like a helicoil and it comes out. Hopefully this works for you, there are other more expensive methods if this doesn't work.

[​IMG]

On the siouxchief website click specialties, then tools... Scroll down to "Internal Nipple Wrench" That will get you there.

Another way that I get them out is by using a #7 easy out with 1/2" cut off the end.

[​IMG]

If you can get it using the first method you don't have to buy any tools.
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

I fear the day when I don't need to buy anymore tools... :eek::(:confused::mad:
  5. danbbbb

danbbbb New Member

Thanks for the ideas and quick response. Your first idea is what I tried, but the nipple broke off perfectly flush with the fitting and the 90 fitting is resessed over an inch into the wall. I tried pushing back an edge with a tiny chisel but I'm afraid of mucking up the threads and then have to break into the tile. A friend recommended using a hack saw blade to cut out the chrome nipple but that seems risky also. So, I'll start calling for the tools you recommended.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The #7 easy out is probably your best bet. You have to cut about 1/2" off and it is hardened metal so you need to use an abrasive cut off wheel.

Grinding 1/2" off will be slow and probably heat the metal causing it to lose its hardness.
  7. danbbbb

danbbbb New Member

Thanks! Yes, I bought the #7 easy out, ground off 1/2 inch and it came right out, as the name inplies, easily. I'm very happy!
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Cool! Glad you got it out!:D