Broken septic system inspection port

Users who are viewing this thread

birchlake

Reaction score
Was walking by a neighbor's house when I smelled the faint smell of septic. The owner of the house was outside and I told him about it, we walked around the yard and found that a 4" white PVC inspection port located on the far end of a typical mound system had been cut off with the lawn mower. Ground was moist in this area and the grass was not surprisingly much greener!

While we were standing there talking about it, the septic tank pump kicked on and effluent water bubbled about 4" or so from the top of this port onto the ground for a short period of time until the pump stopped.

Obviously this is an imminent problem that needs attention ASP. At the very least, the cap for this inspection pipe needs to be replaced to prevent further effluent leakage, but my question is this:

Is it normal for this amount of effluent to pump out of the top of a broken inspection port (level with ground) at the end of a mound system?

System is about 3 years old; was installed when house was built and has not yet been pumped.

I told the owner to call his septic designer/installer. Doesn't seem normal for me for effluent to exit an inspection port, but it might be so thought I'd run it by you guys for your opinions.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am really not an authority on septic systems, but I would share my thoughts with you FWIW. I do not believe sewage should be bubbling out of that inspection port, and I think the broken cap is not the main problem. To my thinking, there has to be something preventing the normal flow through the pipe and into the tank. I suspect the tank is full and needs pumping. I would also be concerned about the drain field. Whether my theories are true, partly true, of completely false, the system need professional evaluation and repair.

birchlake

Reaction score
Gary, that was my "gut feel" as well which is why I posted. Thanks for your reply!

Anyone else care to offer an opinion?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks