Sprinkler head riser, Broken part? Please help :(

Users who are viewing this thread

AntiAmy

Reaction score
First of all, I apologize that I basically know nothing about sprinkler systems. I'm going to try my best to explain my issue and have pics to show what I cannot describe. Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is a struggle to read. But anyways...

After noticing that my grass in the backyard isn't growing well and dying in some areas, I went out to investigate -- It seems that some areas were flooding while some areas were bone dry.

Today, I told the lawn guy about the problem and asked him to clean out the sprinkler heads. He scoped it out and brought this broken piece to me, indicating that this is my problem.

anti-amy-01.jpg

As far as I understand, all of the sprinkler heads are connected in series, so when this thing has been broken off, there's insufficient water pressure for the rest of the yard.

The top of it looks like this and it fits into a tight little hole in the center of my yard. I don't see where it connects to at the end of the hole -- it is fairly deep and the connection should be pretty far in there.

anti-amy-02.jpg

So my questions are these:
What is it?
Is there a part that I can buy to replace what is snapped off? Is it expensive?
How do I reconnect it? Am I going to have to grab a shovel and dig til I find the connecting portion?
Do I need extra tools/supplies?
How big of a job is this? Do I attempt to do it myself or should I hire a professional? Any guesstimations on what someone would charge for this?
How did this happen? It doesn't seem like something that would snap off randomly. I was theorizing that maybe the lawn guys snagged it with the mower and accidentally yanked it?

Again, thank you again and I appreciate any time and help. :confused:

Lone Star Charles

Reaction score
What is it? - It is a sprinkler head, a riser, an elbow, and a broken piece of pipe.
Is there a part that I can buy to replace what is snapped off? - Yes - Is it expensive? - No
How do I reconnect it? - Cut off the supply pipe cleanly, then splice in a repair piece, and replace the rest Am I going to have to grab a shovel and dig til I find the connecting portion? -Yes
Do I need extra tools/supplies? - Take what you have shown in the picture to your hardware store.
How big of a job is this? -Small Do I attempt to do it myself or should I hire a professional? -DIY Any guesstimations on what someone would charge for this? No
How did this happen? -Could something heavy have driven over this? It doesn't seem like something that would snap off randomly. I was theorizing that maybe the lawn guys snagged it with the mower and accidentally yanked it?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lone Star Charles did a good job above explaining the fix.

The part that snapped is the PVC pipping going into the fitting. The fitting you have is a female thread on one side, and a glue hub fitting on the other. You will need that fitting, some pipe, and a coupling to go farther back on the pipe.

Tools
saw
Glue for PVC
pliers
thread sealant

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks