Broken Packing Nut

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cbgoodwin, Feb 26, 2007.

1. cbgoodwin

cbgoodwin New Member

I recently moved into a new home, well new for me. It was built in the 30's. One of the handles on my shower began leaking from the handle so I was going to replace the packing material. Come to realize the last person who worked on it broke off the end of the nut leaving just a little portion I could grab with a pair of needle nose. I managed to remove the nut and put in new teflon packing however there just isnt enough nut to fully tighten it down thus it still leaks out of the handle. What are my options here? Is it possible to find a new nut? Also are these chrome handles removable, I did the repacking without removing the handle from the stem but if I can replace the packing nut I am going to have to pull the handle. Below is a pic for reference.

[​IMG]

Anybody recognize what brand this might be too?

Thanks.
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Might be a real old American Standard........
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

There may be a "button" on that handle that can be removed with a pocket knife or else a set-screw underneath the handle that may require an allen wrench to unscrew. Why not just remove the stem and bring it the hardware store or plumbing supply shop and replace it? All that plumber's putty looks a little goofy without a flange covering it. If you're real lucky, you can find new fixtures that will match.
  4. cbgoodwin

cbgoodwin New Member

I had the stem removed but didnt put the flange back on because I was testing it for leaks. I went to a few local big box stores and I didnt have any luck. There is no set screw or cap to get this handle off.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

handle

The cap looks like either an American Standard "Re-Nu" or Kohler's similar one, but more likely to be the AS version.
  6. coz

coz New Member

stem

pull the whole stem out and go to a real plumbing supply store. here in MA I could get one in an hour.
  7. cbgoodwin

cbgoodwin New Member

I wish I knew what a real plumbing supply house was. I am no plumber by any means. Im going to check the yellow pages and see what I come up with. Any recommendations for a place in CT.
  8. coz

coz New Member

use yellowpages... plumbing supply
  9. coz

coz New Member

what town are you in?
  10. coz

coz New Member

they sell kits that come with new stems handles and escusions you can get all 3
  11. cbgoodwin

cbgoodwin New Member

Southern CT. Stratford to be exact. There are a couple close by I will try this weekend. Thanks for all the help.
  12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A lot of the supply houses are not open on the weekends, or if they are, only for a short time in the morning, so you should call first during the week to find out.