Broken flange

Users who are viewing this thread

foghat35

Reaction score
I pulled out my ground floor toilet because of a slight leak to replace the wax ring and found a diy disaster. The pvc flange busted right where it enters the drain pipe, probably from overtightening the johnny's and was fixed with what looks like half a tube of silicone that recently failed. The floor is concrete. Is there any way to replace this without busting up concrete?? The only thing I can think of is cutting the old flange out with a dremel and putting in a male closet flange. Maybe one of those push in types. Not sure if that will work or is even code. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the flange installed inside or outside of the pipe? if it is inside, you can buy a reamer and basically cut it out, ready to install a new one. For 4" pipe, you can buy flanges that fit inside. For 3", you can too, but it is not recommended.

When finished, attach the flange to the subflooring - best would probably be some lead anchors, although some of the plastic anchors work well, too. Use SS or brass screws so you don't have to worry about them rusting away.

Coz

Reaction score
so flange is all plastic? if it has the metal ring you can replace just the ring or ream it out and replace the whole thing as stated earlier.

foghat35

Reaction score
Thanks but unfortunately the pipe is 3" so no reaming. About 90 degrees of the pvc is cracked around the mounting ring and then drops down almost an inch towards soil pipe. It's a total loss. For the time being I'll use a wax free fluidmaster until I decide what to do. What really gets me though is the way the person tried to fix this. I'm surprised I didn't find duct tape in there with the silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks