broken flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by foghat35, Mar 24, 2007.

1. foghat35

foghat35 New Member

I pulled out my ground floor toilet because of a slight leak to replace the wax ring and found a diy disaster. The pvc flange busted right where it enters the drain pipe, probably from overtightening the johnny's and was fixed with what looks like half a tube of silicone that recently failed. The floor is concrete. Is there any way to replace this without busting up concrete?? The only thing I can think of is cutting the old flange out with a dremel and putting in a male closet flange. Maybe one of those push in types. Not sure if that will work or is even code. Thanks
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Is the flange installed inside or outside of the pipe? if it is inside, you can buy a reamer and basically cut it out, ready to install a new one. For 4" pipe, you can buy flanges that fit inside. For 3", you can too, but it is not recommended.

When finished, attach the flange to the subflooring - best would probably be some lead anchors, although some of the plastic anchors work well, too. Use SS or brass screws so you don't have to worry about them rusting away.
  4. coz

coz New Member

so flange is all plastic? if it has the metal ring you can replace just the ring or ream it out and replace the whole thing as stated earlier.
  5. foghat35

foghat35 New Member

Thanks but unfortunately the pipe is 3" so no reaming. About 90 degrees of the pvc is cracked around the mounting ring and then drops down almost an inch towards soil pipe. It's a total loss. For the time being I'll use a wax free fluidmaster until I decide what to do. What really gets me though is the way the person tried to fix this. I'm surprised I didn't find duct tape in there with the silicone.
  6. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

Duct tape probably fell off after a few days....