Broken closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

kywingnut

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this site and appreciate the info that I have already picked up so far from all of the experts here.
I am replacing an old toilet and when I went to secure the left closet bolt I discovered that the slotted area was cracked
and I could not fully secure the bolt without it cracking it more.
I believe I have a PVC flange but I am not sure. This is my first look ever at a toilet flange.
Can anyone advise me on how to repair this. I have found several flange repair kits, but not sure which one is best.
The toilet flange right now sits about floor level. I have found a sleeve that would fit under the cracked flange, but I don't think I could get
the replacement piece under the existing one since it is at floor level.
I believe this flange sits on 3/4 OSB, with 2 vinyl floors and an 1/4 overlay floor build up around it.
Do you think I could screw a hanger bolt through the broken slot into the sub-floor and use the top threaded part (1/4, 5/16 or 3/8) to secure the toilet?
If not, is there a repair kit you would recommend.
Thanks in advance. I have attached a few pictures
Mike

IMG_8569.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8570.jpg
    IMG_8570.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 956
Last edited by a moderator:

kywingnut

Reaction score
Terry
Would I screw through the 4 inner holes and through my old PVC flange into the sub-floor. Or, use the 6 outside holes & screw into the existing floor?
Existing floor sits slightly below, almost level to my existing flange. If I mounted through the wings I could use a few washers under each wing for shims?
Will the "wings' get in the way with the new toilet, and do I need to silicone between old and new flange?
While searching for the repair flange, I found this one without wings. Would it work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-Stainless-Steel-Flange-Repair-Ring-886-MR/202274075

Also, would screwing a hanger bolt through the flange work, or is the repair flange a better long term fix?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_57437-37672...ct_price|0&Ntt=hanger+bolts&page=1&facetInfo=

Thanks again!
Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
All the metal ring or flat metal does is hold the bolts.
You would not seal it. You set the toilet with wax.
We normally use the outer holes, which screw in outside of the existing flange. I don't like drilling holes through flanges.

If you look at the bottom of the bowl, there is plenty of room.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

Last edited:

kywingnut

Reaction score
Thanks Terry
I found this one at my local box store (Lowes)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_22062-943-21015_0__?productId=1061201#BVRRWidgetID
Seems close to the one you had pictured, except the one Lowes actually had in the store had only 4 ears.
I apologize for another stupid question, but should I put the closet bolts under the original flange slot and use the new one for support,
or put the closet bolts under the slot in the new one.
Also, should I be concerned about the toilet flushing and having water seep between the original flange and the new flange, or will the wax ring seal that all.
With my flange flush with the floor, should I use a double wax ring, jumbo ring or just a standard?

Thanks again, Mike

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Also, should I be concerned about the toilet flushing and having water seep between the original flange and the new flange, or will the wax ring seal that all.
With my flange flush with the floor, should I use a double wax ring, jumbo ring or just a standard one.

If it's flush, you can probably make do with one, but you might want to use a thick one.

When you install the toilet, put the ring on the floor rather than on the toilet. You will quickly see that it's going to seal inside of the repair ring, so, no, there isn't going to be a danger of leakage between the repair ring and the top of the old flange. The wax will seal against a portion of the top of the original flange.

red-ring-repair-love-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks