Broken bolts in toilet flange in concrete slab

Users who are viewing this thread

dadof89

Reaction score
I'm installing a new tile floor and was planning on adding an Oatey spacer to the existing flange for the new height of the floor. But there were four bolts holding the brass toilet flange ring down to the concrete slab. This brass ring is slipped directly over the pvc closet bend end hub, not a lead closet flange. Everything I've read about brass rings are they are to be used with lead closet flanges. So I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Anyways, when removing the nuts from the bolts to add the spacer, the bolts twisted off. I would have had a problem anyways because they weren't long enough to extend through the existing flange ring and new spacer.

I'm perplexed as to how to repair/modify this. Do I need to chip the bolts out of the concrete, and then repair the holes in the slab before reinstalling the ring with new longer bolts or is there some other repair option that exists out there. If I cut them off at slab level, how do I attach a new ring to the slab. Most of the rings I have looked at have the mounting holes in the same position so the there would be a conflict if I left them there embedded in the slab.

To be clear, with the brass ring now gone, I am looking at what I think is the end hub of a closet bend. It is 4" OD by 3.375" ID. About an inch and half down, it necks down to the nominal 3" ID and immediately ells to the horizontal. Outside the end hub are 4 broken off bolts of varying remaining heights embedded in the concrete slab at approximately the 2,5,8, and 11 o'clock positions.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I want to anchor anything into concrete, I use a rotary hammer drill to sink 5/16" holes for lead ferrells then #12 stainless steel sheet metal screws. It helps when you own the drill, but they can be rented. You don't need a big one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks