Broken ABS pipe behind vanity

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Terry, May 24, 2014.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Here is a broken ABS pipe behind a vanity. The home inspector noticed dampness on the wall below the basement lav. There was a 2" ABS pipe that was dropping into a 3x2 lo-heel 90, being used for an end of the run cleanout in the basement.
    The 3" pipe could be moved up and down a bit, the upper portion of the pipe was running horizontal in the wall studs. That pipe could only move a little. I don't know why this pipe snapped off where it did, maybe settling below slab, or perhaps an earthquake had snapped the line. I've seen earthquake damage like that before. At any rate, we had to open the wall, and drill out the pipe left in the hub of the fitting before a repair could be made.

[​IMG]

The 1" seperation between the two pipes.

[​IMG]

After drilling out the hub, new pipe was glued in, a new 2"x1.5"x1.5" santee, a med 90 and a coupling.

[​IMG]

The lav connected back up.

[​IMG]

And the cabinet put back in place. :)
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I have seen it happen in kitchen sink drains, and we do not have earthquakes.
  3. dj2

dj2 Member

"...and we do not have earthquakes."

Earthquakes are starting to happen now in places which have never had them before. Be prepared.