Broke Rheem FVIR waterheater. Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

tankard

Reaction score
I'm an old timer that didn't read the instructions that came with the replacement water heater I installed and I think I broke it. It's a Rheem FVIR and I covered the intake grids with a water heater blanket. I didn't say I was smart, just old. Apparently I've tripped the internal "combustion saftey system" and even after clearing away the blanket I can't get the burner to stay lit. Is there anyway to "reset" the saftey system or I'm I goosed. Thanks for any help.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
T,

From what i remember from a very brief class... You are kinda cooked.I think there is a very thin piece of "burnout" wire (similar to a fuse) that when the heater is choked or flares up ,etc burns apart and will not re-light. Not sure how complicated it is to replace but it has to be done. Ain't modern engineering just GRAND ??
cal

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, Rheem specifically has adopted a conservative approach to the FVIR and liability issue: If an "event" takes place causing the FVIR to activate, the unit MUST be disposed of. We don't know what took place inside your unit. It still could be something repairable like the thermocouple. You need to call Rheem and have them send a qualified tech. to look at it.

tankard

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replys

I went to the Rheem web site where they offer online trouble shooting manuals - for registered distributors only (rats). But elsewhere I was able to find a detailed cut-away diagram of a Rheem FVIR unit and it showed a mechanical safety that will close the air port to the combustion chamber if it is tripped (by a larger than normal flame). Using the diagram it was easy for me to open the chamber and check the safety. Indeed it was tripped and the air intake was sealed. The safety is simply a spring loaded device held open by a glass-like plug that melts in contact with a flame. It could be easily reset by replacing the melted plug. Now I need to find someone who will sell a DIYer like me the 10 cent part(probably for $20 if at all). Good luck to me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plug

1. Because of the liability issue if that heater were to ab even a "possible" cause an explosion, even if the FVIR were repaired properly, no one would sell it to you unless you were a "certified" repair person..

2. This is a Rheem proprietary part so the only ones who will have it are Rheem repair technicians or the Rhemm factory.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have indeed had what they refer to as an "event" in the FVIR system. The water heater CANNOT and MUST NOT be repaired. Contact Rheem; they may help you on a warranty basis.

Jrejre

Reaction score
You may have found this document or have other info that came with your unit. Anyway, this is the FVIR document on the Rheem web site. This does not seem to show the FVIR - but, does have the toll free number for replacement parts. Like others suggest, I'd call them and see what they have to say.

tankard

Reaction score
Doesn't sound good

Again thanks fellas for your input. It sounds like I'm going to take a big hit in the wallet one way or the other. I'll call Rheem as suggested. jrejre - I couldn't see the document you speak of and if your message has some sort of attachment, I'm new to the forum and I don't know how to view it. I'll get the numbers from their site. Hoping for a happy ending.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
toast--toast--toast

according to my rheem salesman, its toast because the
unit got above 300 deg in the chamber which can also
warp the baffle going up the chimmney and it can also
burn out the alluminum gas supply to the burner plus the
thermocoupling.......above 300deg.

they dont sell the repair parts, because of these reasons

but you might find a leaking
rhemm unit at some supply house and rob the parts off it
if they will let you,,,

no plumber (insured ones anyway) would touch this situation...

what you do yourself is at your own risk...

the only value the unit has right now
is the warranty sticker on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks