Broke Drain Plunger

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Wmson

Reaction score
I've got a drain with a plunger that is completely broke off, It has nothing to hook on and all the linkage has been pulled off, and to replace the assembly would be a tough job, as its buried under concrete and somewhat risky as the water supply lines are less than an inch away from where I need to chip the concrete out, is there any tricks or tips that you guys can offer, I've got it saturated with pb blaster penetrating oil now.
I have my tub pulled out and about to do a full bath remodel so access is as good as its gonna get unless I get the jack hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Normally any concrete around the tub waste would be a scab layer, thin and easy to chip away.
I would not go through the work if replacing a tub without replacing the tub waste and overflow assembly,

Marine

Reaction score
I agree with the above. Replace it. You're already going to be doing a lot of work so what's another day? If you accidentally damage the water line just replace the damaged section. A jackhammer shouldn't be needed for 4" concrete. I have broke up 4" concrete with a sledge but prefer cutting it first for nice straight and clean cuts. If it's gonna be under a tub I wouldn't worry about it as much.

Greg Wmson

Reaction score
Well crap, after closer inspection, its apparent that the guy did not fill it up with concrete and put a thin layer of rubber on it, but actually filled the entire hole with rubber, probably not rubber but definately oil based, hard, black, and thick, it appears to be about the consistency of roofing tar. OMG removing that stuff is like cutting hay with scissors, I tried heating it up and scraping it with a big flat head screwdriver and all it does is stick to the end of the screwdriver.. wtf was this guy thinking. I tried heating the pipe and pulling it with a coat hanger bent out with clips on both sides while take a screwdriver and pushing from the bottom, didnt work so I took a big socket and tapped it down a hair hoping to dislodge it, of at least level it out if its off canter, and it moved, but still will not come out and now stuck down another 1/4" further down. Any tips to removing this black tar?

Greg Wmson

Reaction score
I guess the vinegar did the trick, after soaking overnight, and approaching it with a fresh start and a good nights sleep, it slid out with minimal effort and some gentle persuasion. I definitely wanted to change this drain valve, but I just can't see that happening. Now I need to figure out a way to test my pipe before I put the tub in to make sure I didn't put a hairline stress crack somewhere prying and hammering it and heating it.

Marine

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of what you're dealing with now? Someone might have some good tips on how you could replace it. Sounds like you're close to where you could have it out I'd hate to see you have to go back a year from now and have to tear it out then. I think you should really consider replacing it. I don't think it'll be as bad as you think. You could even drill a bunch of holes in the concrete with a concrete bit and take a 1' square section out. Wouldn't take long.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks