Brine tank filling during brining

Users who are viewing this thread

Slinger56

Reaction score
Hello, I recently replaced the bottom distributor on my GXSF27E01 GE softener when I started noticing beads in my no-longer-soft water. Luckily I caught it in time and only a couple of my faucet aerators were affected. I proceeded to replace the resin and the O-rings from the valve to the tank and the turbine meter (whose blades were totally gone), and refilled the resin tank with 3/4 cubic foot of beads. I was told by the supplier that the beads were already fully charged and ready to soften the water, but the water still wasn't soft even after a regen. Checking under the lid when it got to "service" I noticed there was brine covering the salt and it was about 2 feet deep. I then cycled the valve manually and it seemed that all the positions did what they were supposed to do, except during the brining stage the water level in the salt tank was coming UP, not going down. I took the venturi and nozzle assembly apart and cleaned everything and it looked good. I also removed the valve cover to check for beads inside there, but found none. Putting it back on I noticed two adjacent ribs next to one of the screws had small cracks, but other than that the cover looked sound. Any ideas what I should check next? Thanks for the help!!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds more like it was time to replace the unit. Post some pictures of the affected area. Did you replace the bottom screening system inside the tank? Resin escaping from the system is usually caused by a damaged bottom distributor.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Resin will get into the venturi and hard to see. I hold it side ways and look through the venturi track. It will also clog the flow control that is mounted in the venturi. If it has a flow control in the venturi (not the one under the venturi) remove it and check for a brine draw. Check the drain flow control for a clog. If you still do not get a draw, it is possible the figure 8 o ring is bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks