Brine Tank Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

J-DIY

Reaction score
We want to install a water softener but there is no place to drain a brine tank except into a basement shower cabinet. Would this be acceptable?
We could bring the main unit drain, which is under pressure, up and over (through ceiling) to a sink drain.

Bannerman

Reaction score
there is no place to drain a brine tank
I installed my softener in 1997 and did not install any drain on the brine tank. I have never had an issue as the brine tank has a safety float that will prevent overflow if the brine fills but is not being drawn out.

If there was a problem, I would like to know right away and water on the concrete floor would be a sure way to be informed.

If I had a finished floor that could be damaged, I would probably have the brine drain flow into a bucket so that any water contained, would indicate a problem.

While I'm not aware of your local building code requirements, the drain into the shower would probably be OK but the hose outlet should be kept higher than the stall floor and water prevented from entering it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Fleck and Clack units have a timed refill, so the valve in the brine tank is only a safety float. Many other units use the float as the water refill level control, these types of designs should have the brine tank drain run to a gravity drain if damage can occur due to a failed float assembly. As stated by Bannerman, if the floor can be damaged by water, it is probably the wrong place to install the system anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks