Briggs Vaucity runs sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The toilet seems to work fine but every once and awhile it sounds like its running and then it stops. It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere but my husband and I can not understand why it keeps doing this. Do you have an explanation? Linda

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, water is leaking from the tank down into the bowl. This water then runs down the drain... The sound you hear is the fill valve doing its job keeping the tank full.

Replace the flapper!

lonsteve

Reaction score
Replaced the flapper with Briggs vacuity flapper

We just replaced our flapper on our Briggs vacuity toilet because the old one had lost it's flexibility and was leaking. At first my husband bought a universal flapper because he couldn't find a Briggs replacement flapper at the hardware store. That did not work. Very slow flushes left some paper not flushed. We ordered online (not from Briggs), a Briggs replacement vacuity flapper with the white floater thingy. It still is not flushing at optimum as before. Is there something we are not putting back together right? Is there a manual out there. I have tried to email Briggs but have gotten no response. They are only open during the week eastern time. Weekend diy-er's have a hard time with this kind of customer service. I will let the thread know if I get an answer. In the meantime, please help with advice if possible. thanks!

lonsteve

Reaction score
Never got a response from Briggs

We never got a response from Briggs. We have given up on the Vacuity and have gotten a rebate reservation in San Diego County for a Low-flush replacement. We are getting a TOTO Drake Toilet. Hoping for better luck, since we have seen a lot of good reviews. San Diego County has mandatory water rationing this year so we can't afford to mess around with inferior products.
Thanks for the help any way.
Alonna and Steven Farrar

jkolb

Reaction score
Fed up :( with Vacuity.

This toilet is a real pain. I bought two for my home three years ago –Consumers report top toilet . They both started to run within two weeks of each other. I replaced the flappers – and two weeks later one is running again. So I replaced the entire flush valve thinking the seat may have gone bad. When you take the tank off you will see an additional tube that goes into the base, part of the vacuum assist system. This tube has a tank to bowl seal and mine was pretty bad. I went to 5 stores (2 specialty plumbing) and no one has the part. I put the tank back on and the toilet will not flush (won’t brake siphon). I bought a Toto. Here is the crappy part, I installed 12 of these toilets in an apartment complex about the same time – are they leaking?? I hope I have better luck getting in touch with of Briggs.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Perhaps you see why lots of us don't have much faith in Consumer Reports. Virtually every toilet they recommend turns out to be a lemon. That's all right if you want a lemonade stand, but not worth much if you want a good functioning toilet. The Briggs Vacuity has been a poor performer from the outset. Your question about the rest of the Briggs you have in the apartment complex is valid, but you'll just have to check them to know if they are leaking now, but if not now, they will likely later. In fairness, you must realize that all internal parts such as flappers will eventually need to be replaced, even in Toto toilets. The difference is Toto parts are everyday-off-the-shelf parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks