Briggs/Case 6011 toilet needs fixing

Users who are viewing this thread

sno4rent

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an old Briggs/Case 6011 toilet that is awesome! Super quiet and love it! Here's the problem... I can hear it "running", however, it sounds more like a quiet hiss coming from the fill valve area. I can lift up on the float rod and that does not help. It is not the fill level as the water line is still under the overflow tube. It is not the flapper either. The only thing that somewhat helps to quiet it, is pressing down with my finger/thumb fairly hard on the water level adjusting screw on the top of the fill valve OR turning the water completely off at the wall (which is what I've been doing) until I need to use it... My question is, what do I need to replace? Should I get the #5101 conversion kit that just has the top parts of the fill valve, or should I get the entire fill valve/ballcock/etc... OR, is it NONE of the above and there's an easier fix?!? :) I would much rather fix it than buy a new toilet. Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the hose from the fill valve is not held above the water line by the clip, it can siphon some water out, and that can cause the fill valve to need to run to keep the level up. Verify that the hose is not stuffed down the overflow - it should be clipped above it. If that's not the case, it could be that the flapper valve is leaking, and the fill valve is just keeping up.

Shut off the water supply, then leave it for a few hours. If the water level drops, it's the flapper valve. Sounds like the fill valve needs service or replacement, though, but it may be only one of the problems.

sno4rent

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for the quick reply. I probably should have attached pics... There is no hose from the fill valve that goes into the overflow. See pics - one is from the top and the other is from the side - PS, water was drained to get better photos. :)
BriggsCase6011.jpgBriggsCase6011-2.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Before you conclude that it is not the flapper, thus eliminating the cheapest source of repair, do yourself a favor and take the flapper test. Turn off the water to the toilet after filling it. Mark the water level with a pencil on the inside of the tank. Come back 3 hours later, and see if the water level has not dropped. If it has dropped, you start with a new flapper. if it's exactly in the same place, it is not the flapper. A soft hiss with a ballcock toilet is very often the flapper.

PS Looks like some surgery has already been done on it insofar as it has a flapper and what appears to be a different trip lever. Assuming that you know which ballcock assembly you have (the original or the conversion), and they are all still adjustable and the screws turn and such, I don't know why you couldn't just replace the guts inside the fill valve for less than $30 without needing the new top and such. If you take a few pictures to a local Briggs dealer, I would think that they could just sell you the innards for that fill valve. But check the flapper issue first. The one that's in there looks like it has seen better days.

Last edited:

sno4rent

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply wjcandee! So, I got a new flapper and filled the tank. Turned the water off and let it sit over the weekend. The water level is exactly the same. Turned the water back on, and it still quietly runs. The fill valve obviously just doesn't shut off - it will run the tank level up and into the overflow tube and still won't shut off. There has to be a gasket or something inside the fill valve that makes it continually run - any thoughts?

Reaction score
The only thing i can think of is to get a pressure assisted toilet since they have no flapper or refill valves. In fact a pressure assist tank will work on a gravity bowl. Here is one video of it - the original A.S Cadet! with a Gerber Ultraflush Tank! I wonder how the heck did they get it to fit on the bowl?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would much rather fix it than buy a new toilet.
You might re-think that, unless you are keeping the toilet for a non-financial reason such as the styling or you like the challenge. The new toilets work reliably and use less water. They are very unlikely to overflow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You need the fill valve repair kit which has the piston, seat, and maybe the cap. Sometimes the seat strips and then you have to "cut it out" very carefully before you install the new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks