Brief pressure loss every 5 minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread

DripperDan

Reaction score
This seems to have started rather recently... when running any sink or shower, the water pressure will drop real low (water still comes out, but very low flow) for 5-10 seconds, then picks back up to normal again. Happens approximately every 5 minutes while water is running.

We're on well/septic with HT62B (62 gal) Water Worker pressure tank. Have water softener and water filters (I recently replaced the filter, but that didn't help).

I should mention the tank has a pressure gauge on it, showing 60 psi (just looking at it under normal use -- not when pump is disabled). The pressure tank is rated for 100PSI max normal pressure (125PSI test).

I also noticed there's a slight leak, as in feels wet to the touch, but no visible moving water, where the gauge is connected to the output from the pressure tank. I may gently tork this tighter with a wrench, if that seems a good idea.

Looking for any suggestions/advice on this.

Thanks.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ja, it could be the line to the switch, or it could be buildup under the diaphragm of the switch. It could also be the bladder getting jacked. The tank is running out of reserve just as the pump comes on.

Do a drawdown test to see if the bladder is fully functional. Verify the kick-in pressure is above what the precharge is set to.

DripperDan

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

To clear crud from the pressure switch nipple requires draining the tank (so I can temporarily disconnect the switch), correct?

Meanwhile, I took the housing off the pressure switch. It's a Square D, with diagram and instructions: Screw #1 CW to increase cut off and cut on, screw #2 CW to increase only cut off pressure. So I slightly turned #2 CCW, as an experiment, to see if that delays the cut off just enough (or at all).

Hm... so I just did the sink test (run the kitchen sink faucet for 5 minutes). After about 3 minutes, the flow reduces to about 1/3, then after about 2 seconds, is back up to normal. First time it did this, I turned #2 CCW again, about the same amount, but second test seemed identical results to the first. So it may be dirty pressure switch (or blatter, or valve leak).

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You are screwing with the wrong nut. What you probably need to do is to slightly raise the cut-in pressure setting not the cut-out, so it's screw #1 that you would need to tighten CW.

That is not a permanent fix. It only proves my point that the tank is running out of reserve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks