Brick pulling away from structure?

Users who are viewing this thread

dabensys

Reaction score
All,

I am adding a new window to the master bath. I've done this several times before, but never on a house with a brick facade. I rough framed the window opening last week, but I did not remove the insul-board until today. When I exposed the brick, I noticed that it was over 1/2" out of plumb about 4 feet from the roof line. Checking the top and bottom of the wall I find it it plumb.

It appears to me that the brick facade has bowed out. I did notice when removing the studs where the window opening would be that the fasteners nailed to the back of the studs had pulled away about 1/2".

I'm having the masonry work done by a mason, but I'm wondering if I need to have someone look at the facade first before the mason cuts out the brick for the window opening.

Thoughts?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You make no mention of there being metal tabs nailed to the sheathing and embedded under the bricks. If there are none, that's almost certainly the problem.

dabensys

Reaction score
You make no mention of there being metal tabs nailed to the sheathing and embedded under the bricks. If there are none, that's almost certainly the problem.

Actually, I did...
"...I did notice when removing the studs where the window opening would be that the fasteners nailed to the back of the studs had pulled away about 1/2..."

I just didn't call them 'tabs'.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I stand corrected. You certainly will want the mason to be aware of this problem before continuing. I've never done brick work myself, but I do know that plumb and level are two things masons are very careful with.

dabensys

Reaction score
I stand corrected. You certainly will want the mason to be aware of this problem before continuing. I've never done brick work myself, but I do know that plumb and level are two things masons are very careful with.

Thanks for the advice.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
What did your mason say?

On some older buildings, steel rods are inserted through the building and decorative caps (diamonds, circles, sunshines, etc) are placed on the outside to pull the building together. They're usually below the foor or above the ceiling so they're not seen. This could be an option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks