Breaking down poop and paper

Users who are viewing this thread

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
For reasons that I don't understand, one of my Toto toilets just doesn't flush properly all the time and, well, poop and paper clogs the toilet.

Although I could (and, on occasion have) used a plunger to clear the clog, I was wondering if there is a safe enzyme or chemical that I can use to break down the poop so that the toilet flushes.

What I sometimes do is simply wait overnight for the natural breakdown to occur but sometime this doesn't work.

I don't want to use Draino for the many reasons we have discussed here.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to have chemical/biological action in a toilet. The flushing is a mechanical/hydrological process. I'd say that the issue is in the toilet itself... something with the flushing water pressure/flow or other problem causing the flushing not to be strong enough to move the contents. I've had similar problems that I fixed simply by raising the water level in the toilet tank which gave it more volume and more head pressure for a better and more complete flush. As for Toto toilets... I'm clueless. Don't know if I've ever seen one or not.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a defective toilet or a partial obstruction in the waste line.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
ToolsRMe said:
For reasons that I don't understand, one of my Toto toilets just doesn't flush properly all the time and, well, poop and paper clogs the toilet.

Although I could (and, on occasion have) used a plunger to clear the clog, I was wondering if there is a safe enzyme or chemical that I can use to break down the poop so that the toilet flushes.

What I sometimes do is simply wait overnight for the natural breakdown to occur but sometime this doesn't work.

I don't want to use Draino for the many reasons we have discussed here.

Any suggestions?

Did you use a horned wax ring when you set the toilet?

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Did you use a horned wax ring when you set the toilet?

Since I didn't set the toilet, "I" don't know. The contractor used whatever came with the Toto.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here's a test that I actually did one time and it worked... pulled the toilet, got a large mouthed funnel, 5 gal bucket of water... poured the water down the toilet drain at least as fast as the toilet would if it were flushing properly... the water didn't back up at all...so I knew the problem was in the toilet... replaced toilet & problem was solved.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Randyj said:
Here's a test that I actually did one time and it worked... pulled the toilet, got a large mouthed funnel, 5 gal bucket of water... poured the water down the toilet drain at least as fast as the toilet would if it were flushing properly... the water didn't back up at all...so I knew the problem was in the toilet... replaced toilet & problem was solved.

Toto's are expensive toilets with a reputation for not clogging.

I'll check with the (non-plumbing) contractor. It may be time to do as you suggest.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While they are normally adjusted from the factory, doublecheck where the water is after it fills in the tank. If it isn't around 1/2" below the overflow, adjust the fill height. While the toilet doesn't use all of the water in the tank, it is important to have the proper pressure that the height in the tank provides. The fill valve is a Korky...you can see the instructions on adjusting on their site.

Also, sounds like this is new, but double-check to make sure it has a toto flapper valve...it won't dispense the proper amount of water if it isn't.

Last, try just holding the handle down until the tank runs out of water to see if it flushes better.

As was mentioned, there could be something stuck in the trap or the drain line, restricting the flow there.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
While they are normally adjusted from the factory, doublecheck where the water is after it fills in the tank. If it isn't around 1/2" below the overflow, adjust the fill height. While the toilet doesn't use all of the water in the tank, it is important to have the proper pressure that the height in the tank provides. The fill valve is a Korky...you can see the instructions on adjusting on their site.

Fill is 1/2" below tube.

jadnashua said:
Also, sounds like this is new, but double-check to make sure it has a toto flapper valve...it won't dispense the proper amount of water if it isn't.

Last, try just holding the handle down until the tank runs out of water to see if it flushes better.

As was mentioned, there could be something stuck in the trap or the drain line, restricting the flow there.

I used a plunger (see new post about Toto and plungers) and it is flushing fine now.

I have as yet to find a low-flow toilet that works as well as a 5-gallon flush.

I have an ancient 5-gallon in my basement that has never given me any trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks