Breakers: criteria for selection?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Fistor, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Fistor

Fistor Geotechnical Engineer

Hi all -

Just wondering if someone could give me a quick review rundown on the criteria for selecting breakers for the panel.

As I understand it, you need to consider:
    - make (e.g. Siemens)
    - amperage (e.g. 15-A)
    - single/double pole

Anything else?

Also, what physically is the difference between single- and double-pole breakers?

Thanks!
  2. Bill Arden

Bill Arden Computer Programmer

A double-pole breaker is twice as wide and has two power wires.

They also make triple pole breakers for 3-phase panels.

the brand/make/type is the most important as you can't put a homeline breaker into a QO panel even though they are both from Square D
  3. Fistor

What is "QO" - is that a make, or a type?

I ask, since I tried looking at the small print on all the breakers already installed, and noted that they are marked with "Q-" designations.

So, I am right to assume that not all Siemens, 15A, single-pole breakers are equal? (ignoring GFCI and AF types)

If so, what additional criteria are there, and what do they mean?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A panel will be labeled to say what TYPE number of breaker may be used. Q0 is a certain Square D type. There are other Square D breakers which are different types, and not interchangeable with Q0. So that TYPE number is a key spec.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There are also special CB, such as GFCI and AFCI which may be required for certain applications. When you get into special equipment, there are all sorts of special CB with various tripping profiles. Some are designed for big surges, such as things that control a compressor or big motor.
  6. Fistor

Awesome, thnx for the info. My panel is a Siemens, with no special indicators (e.g. Q0). I will just make sure to match the new breaker type to the existing.

Besides, after having first asked this question, I did a lot of checking around, and note that Siemens (whom I thought were among the largest) seem to have less variety and variations on their breakers (at least judging by available selection at hardware stores - Square D seems to dominate).Thnx again for all the answers! :)
  7. mattbee24

mattbee24 In the Trades

For residential panels, Siemens only has 2 styles of breakers. And only 1 is currently being used on any new panels. There is the pushmatic style which Siemens recently stopped making, and the QP series breakers. If you have to "push" the breaker to turn it on/off, it is a pushmatic. Otherwise you have the QP series. The QP series will interchange with a number of other brands.
  8. mattbee24

mattbee24 In the Trades

Yep Andy. Still live on Morrison.