breaker questions

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by rbig, Mar 2, 2013.

1. rbig

rbig New Member

I have a Siemans 200 amp panel coming into our house. It gives us 240/120vac.

It has 5 blanks. Total of 8 blanks, 3 are occupied. This leaves me 5 blanks.

Do I have to use Siemans breakers? Or, can I go to Home Depot or Lowes and get breakers there that will fit this panel?

What do I need to tell Lowes or Home Depot to get the right configuration of breaker (I do have the Siemans model # of the entry panel).
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

So, are you putting the breakers in yourself? There should be a large label inside the panel telling you exactly what kind of breakers
    you can use in it. The electrical codes say you have to use those.
  3. rbig

rbig New Member

Yes. I'll check and list those. Thanks for the info.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

My experience with Siemens is that they do not use "universal" breakers. Lowes carries Siemens but whether they have the model you need is something you would have to check on.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. Norcal01

Norcal01 New Member

Siemens bought ITE & renamed them, ITE breakers do fit a lot of other makes and the vice-versa, BUT just because they do fit, does not mean it's OK to do so, UL does classify some manufacturers breakers to be used in competitors panels but you need paperwork to do so. IMO it's better to use the same make as the panel, then to use another make, Lowes handles Siemens so should be easy to find.