Brass P-Trap to Cast Iron DWV

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jlsddmar, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jlsddmar

jlsddmar New Member

Hi Everyone -

What is the correct way of joining brass to a cast iron stack? Does the connection from a sink P-trap (brass) to cast iron need to be dielectric? My condo is in a high-rise type building, so code states that a PVC trap isn't an option for me.

Also, does cast iron dwv frequently have either 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 inlets? I had been looking at the Kohler K-8998 but need to check to see if the pipe's opening is larger than 1 1/4.

Thanks,
    Derek
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

please post some pics it will help us see what you are trying to do.[​IMG]
  3. jlsddmar

jlsddmar New Member

Hi Ron -

The wall's pretty much closed up now, so I don't think I'd be able to get anything to come out clearly. I think the installation is pretty standard though. It's a 4" CI stack that runs up through the 7 floors of an apartment-type building. The pipe has a female threaded inlet for the sink drain, which was temporarily capped with PVC when the old sink vanity came out.

I want to install a chromed brass 1 1/4 P-trap to the cast iron, and know that copper 1/4 sweat to MIP adapters exist, but am I going to run into corrosion issues due to the different metals being in contact?

Thanks for the help,
    Derek
  4. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Thats a non-issue when it comes to drainage. Just be sure to use 17 guage p-traps.
  5. jlsddmar

jlsddmar New Member

Sounds good, thanks for the help.

Do they make the adapters I'm looking for in brass, or is copper the way to go?
  6. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

I think this is what you need

[​IMG]

That comes with a chrome lock-nut it's 1 1/2 male by 1 1/4 compression
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. jlsddmar

jlsddmar New Member

Hi -

Yeah, I think it's something like that. That's a slip fit though, right? My P-trap is brass.

-Derek
  8. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Use a 1 1/2" x whatever galv nipple from ci drain out to your brass p-trap
    THIS HAS BEEN PLUMBING CODE IN CITY OF L. A.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. jlsddmar

jlsddmar New Member

Hi Jerry -

How is the brass connected to the galvanized? The P-trap isn't threaded. I was anticipating screwing the threads into the CI and then sweating the P-trap on.

Thanks,
    Derek