brass or plastic fittings for PEX?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by TF52, Jun 16, 2012.

1. TF52

TF52 New Member

I'm having PEX pluming installed. pH of my water when checked w pH paper, is somewhere around 6.8 - it is not 7. It is municipal water, not from a well.
    I read that if water is below 7 ,its acidic, and can cause brass fittings to fail.
    I also heard that plastic fittings are more likley to break and do not have as strong of a seal as brass.
    Should I go with plastic fittings or with brass?
    Thanks.
    TF
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plastic 'isert" fittings are a lot "thicker" than brass ones so the opening for the water is much smaller. Your water should not affect the brass. It is a factor when the PH is 4 or 5 or lower, but not .2 below neutral. I doubt you will EVER find water that is exactly 7.0.