Brass or Bronze

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by AverageMe, Oct 24, 2009.

1. AverageMe

AverageMe New Member

Hello,

I'm replacing a gate valve with a ball valve for my water heater. I've seen ball valves available in brass or bronze. Besides the price difference and metal alloy composition, what is the difference? Rather, is brass or bronze better for a residential application?

Thanks,
    Anthony
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Go for the bronze valve if you like...it has more copper in it
  3. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Personally I'd go with the cheaper brass version. As the home owner you won't ever notice a difference between the brass and bronze valves except in your pocket book!