Brass Cleanout Plug in ABS Cleanout Tee?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Shinshi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Shinshi

Shinshi New Member

I have ABS pipe in the wall with a cleanout and I'd like to install a flush cleanout cover like this one Watts makes...

[​IMG]

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?catId=67&parCat=378&pid=1305&ref=2

Now Watts only offers this in Brass. I have searched the internet and this forum and I haven't been able to answer my question.

Can I use a brass plug like this in an ABS Cleanout Tee?

I didn't find anything that tells me the two are incompatible, but I didn't find anything that said they were either.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

co

It would not be a good idea, because any corrosion on the brass would create a force in the tee and possibly crack it. There is nothing unique about that cleanout. Most plumbing stores have the cleanout plate AND a 3" countersunk plug. Just ask for them.