Brand new Toto Drake 2 piece - extremely weak flush, any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

gaga192

Reaction score
Just had a bathroom remodel and based on great reviews added a 2 piece Toto Drake to the project (10" rough in with G Max). Once it was installed I was hugely disappointed by the power of the flush and think there must something wrong. The toilet thus far is still unused because I don't think it would actually flush much away. Have been through all the forum threads with no success for a solution. I posted a very shaky youtube clip here of the flush in action to give an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIJqWaFHEQ&feature=youtu.be

Any ideas would be great thanks!

G.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Just had a bathroom remodel and based on great reviews added a 2 piece Toto Drake to the project (10" rough in with G Max). Once it was installed I was hugely disappointed by the power of the flush and think there must something wrong. The toilet thus far is still unused because I don't think it would actually flush much away. Have been through all the forum threads with no success for a solution. I posted a very shaky youtube clip here of the flush in action to give an idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIJqWaFHEQ&feature=youtu.be

Any ideas would be great thanks!

G.

That's not even close to the normal flush, in a number of ways. Once you get it fixed, I'm sure you will be well-pleased with it. But I don't know what the issue is. The absence of pressure for the flush is remarkable. Is the tank filling to 1/2" below the top of the refill tube? It should fill to there, and when you flush it, the flapper should open for no more than a second and shoot a burst of water into the bowl, using less than 1/2 of the tank in the second that it is open. (This assumes that you push and promptly release the trip handle.)

There also doesn't seem to be a siphon at the beginning, which my drake does; kind of pulls the water out of the bowl, not just buildup and dribble down.

One of the pros may know right away what's wrong, so I won't speculate.

Properly flushing Drake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJ8brfaaz0

Properly-functioning Drake tank innards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nx43LNtflM

Drake sucking down some paper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC_TP7mrVW0

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Acts like you have a stoppage. I'm guessing that you got some of the wax seal in the opening. Try using a toilet auger.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like a plugged bowl. John mentions using a plunger on it, I would try that first.

I have also seen people follow the instructions on the wax box, sticking the wax on the bowl and then walking the bowl over to the floor flange. If the wax falls off the bowl, it can block the drain.
We always set the wax on the floor, and the drop the bowl down on the wax.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I were a betting person, I'd bet on the wax ring being squished over the flange. My first move would be to get a new ring, pull the toilet and verify that as the cause. Even if it isn't the problem, you would have to replace the wax ring. One "trick" lots of us use is to use a nut to hold the flange bolts upright and firmly in place while the toilet is being set down. Old pros may not bother because the are accustomed to dealing with the bolts that don't stay aligned, but us DIY folks spend a nickle and buy a couple of extra nuts.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
One "trick" lots of us use is to use a nut to hold the flange bolts upright and firmly in place while the toilet is being set down. Old pros may not bother because the are accustomed to dealing with the bolts that don't stay aligned, but us DIY folks spend a nickle and buy a couple of extra nuts.

The pro that installed two of my toilets years ago had double-nutted as well. Threw me at first because I thought that one of the purposes of NOT double-nutting was to allow some "give" in terms of location before the bowl is finally secured.

I notice that a couple of manufacturers of closet bolt sets now include two thin flexible plastic pieces that go over the bolt after you have inserted it into the flange; they will hold each bolt upright without interfering with that "give".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The holes in the toilet skirt that the bolts go through are large enough to allow a little wiggle room. We're not fitting pistons into an engine block.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We only buy bolt sets that come with 4 washers and 4 nuts. We always double nut the closet bolts.
Home Centers don't sell those. It would mean selling a product that cost a few pennies more. As a pro, those pennies save us big dollars in time saved.

install_kit.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We only buy bolt sets that come with 4 washers and 4 nuts. We always double nut the closet bolts.
Home Centers don't sell those. It would mean selling a product that costs a few pennies more. As a pro, those pennies save us big dollars in time saved.

That's really good to know for future installations. I followed the lead of the guys that had done it before, but thought that maybe there was a reason nobody (including Toto) suggested that it be done that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

gaga192

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried the plunger and a fair few buckets of water to see if there is any blockage but no joy. Next I'll pick up an Auger from Home Depot see what that does. I've reached out to the contractor who fitted the toilet to see if he thinks the wax ring could have slipped during installation, he's pretty honest and I trust him so will see what he thinks.

One question, will the auger actually do anything if it is the wax ring that's the problem bearing in mind it's probably still somewhat fixed or attached? and if I do retrieve anything do I need to reinstall and use more wax to avoid a leak??

Thanks, Garry.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If my theory is valid, the auger might clear some of the squished wax out and improve the flush. It is very unlikely that the auger would clear the whole pathway through the flange. To be blunt, I think you are spend more time and effort plunging and augering than if you would just pull the toilet and check. It is likely that even if you clear some of the wax out of the way, there will still be some that can cause future clogging problems. I can appreciate that you may not feel comfortable in pulling the toilet up, but it really isn't a very difficult task and won't take the contractor very long. Since you use the term "contractor", question that this person is a plumber. He may be a very nice honest person, but that doesn't make him experienced with setting a toilet. The only time a new wax ring would be required is if you take the toilet up. Then you must use a new one. If you do replace the wax ring, do not use the type with a plastic funnel or horn. All you want is simple, plain ring. Don't let anyone talk you into the other kind. They cause problems more than they fix.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anything that slows down the siphon will be a problem.
It could be something simple like the box or wrapper the wax came in, being tossed in the bowl and flushed.
It could be a pen or pencil, Q-Tips, small phone or bar of soap, Something.
You can rest assured that something is there.

gi_joe.jpg

Here is what we pulled out of one TOTO Drake.
Her son was four years old. Joe was not a happy camper.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks