Brand New Gerber Install Won't Flush

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jdssc, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jdssc

jdssc New Member

Good Day All:

We just installed a brand new Gerber Aqua Saver Toilet, #28-794 14" RI. Followed install instructions to the letter. Turned the water on, filled the tank and - no flush power at all.

It appears that gravity just isn't doing the job. Water is just not getting into the bowl fast enough. The bowl fills all right, but very slowly; so much so that it seems there is not enough pressure to give us an actual flush.

Everything is installed properly. Flap wide open, chain correct length. No blockages, the rim holes are tiny, but functioning and the vent on the roof is clear. Does this thing have to be primed or something?

Any suggestions offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for your time.

JD
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The 28-794 had a flush score of 150 grams
    The trapway on the Gerber 28-794 is not very efficient.

Watersense requires 350 grams to get their listing.
    500 grams is considered very good.

[​IMG]
    Gerber 21-794 Aqua Saver
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. Take it out, buy a toto. That toilet you bought is going to be nothing but problems.

It's hard to find gerber toilets in my area. They exist because I work on them every now and then but they are sold by supply house only.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

You need a different toilet...I 2nd pulling it and getting another toilet that will work like a Toto...

[​IMG]
    Toto Drake with a better trapway design
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Thats one hurtin toilet...
    I'll go along with what the others have said...
    Get a Toto!
  6. gusherb94

gusherb94 Member

Of course like everyone else I would suggest a Toto, but I would also suggest a Gerber Viper or Avalanche, I have personally installed and tested the Viper and think that it's a great flushing toilet for a good value and is hard to clog, the Avalanche I haven't tested yet but have heard good things about it.
  7. jdssc

jdssc New Member

Thank you all so much for the time you invested in your replies to me. We tore it down and discovered it was all simply a matter of a tank mis-match. We exchanged for the correct tank and everything seems to be working fine now.

I now know that for the future I will go with the Toto, but for now I'm flushed with joy:).

Thank you all again.
    JD