Branch drain sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Aaa123

Reaction score
Hello,

Would you please answer the following:

1) The '06 IPC, if I interpret table 110.1 and 110.2 correctly, states: a lav is worth 1 unit, a kitchen sink w/disposer and dishwasher is worth 2, and a clothes washer is worth 2. All combined, that's 5, and a 2" branch line can handle up to 6 units. Do I understand this correctly and Are these numbers the same for the '09 IPC?

2) The iron I'm replacing has no clean-out and there is no practical place that I can put it. (In fact, local plumbers are frequently seen stuffing cable down vents.) Can I extend my branch beyond the fixtures and install a horizontal, overhead clean-out? I didn't notice anything in the '06 that would prevent it.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If the line is over 18" and not serving a fixture it is considered a dead end which is not allowed.

John

Aaa123

Reaction score
Hi John and thanks!

When you say 18", does that refer to the full length of the branch or the distance between the nearest fixture junction and the (proposed) clean-out?

Last edited:

Aaa123

Reaction score
Are these questions in the wrong forum? I am hoping to avoid a long trip to the main library.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Hi John and thanks!

When you say 18", does that refer to the full length of the branch or the distance between the nearest fixture junction and the (proposed) clean-out?
The distance between the nearest fixture junction.

John

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Fixtur unit values never change, with the exception of the water closet because of it's water usage being reduced considerably.

Why can't you put the cleanout under the sink or on the washer?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks