Branch Circuit Partial Run in Conduit

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by sjsmithjr, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

For the life of me I can't fish the runs (NM) from a laundry room addition the last couple of feet back to the service panel. The service panel is mounted on an exterior wall. Is there a code compliant way come in the side of the box the last couple of feet via conduit? As I understand it 2x12-2 and 1x10-4 NM would violate the conduit fill rule. Is it permissible to strip the jacket once the NM enters the conduit?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

?

Use larger conduit.
  3. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

I'm guilty of not provided sufficient information again. I believe 2x12-2 and 1x10-4 NM would overfill 2-inch conduit, and 2-inch is the largest I can run.
  4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Can't run NM on the outside no matter what kind or size pipe you install
  5. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

Understood. I take it then the right way is to run NM to a junction box, then THHN from the box in conduit to the service panel?

Bummer of a week for the electrician in the family to be out of pocket...

Thanks,
  6. Johnny C

Johnny C Electrician

Power supply to Panelboard

Use type NM cable for the interior wiring to a "J box" and run conduit on the outside of the building with THWN or XHHW. The conductors must be suitable for a wet location.