Bradford White water heater model questions?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Handiman, May 19, 2009.

1. Handiman

Handiman New Member

Hello, well my 20year old STATE water heater is now leaking so I have to replace it. I see in here that many like the Bradford White water heaters.

I figured out my FHR is 48, being a 3 bedroom house 3+1=4 x 12gallons=48. My current water heater is 75 gallons which seems to big according to this FHR. According to the Bradford White website the 65 gallon gas water heater M2TW65T6FBN would be perfect even with the FHR far exceeding my 48 being 126 FHR. Also the EF is an energy star EF of .66.

Few questions are:

Would this model M2TW65T6FBN be a good choice?

Energy rebates possible?

Possible to replace the dip tube with an angled one to flush out sediment better?

Easy to replace anode rod?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

A 66 gallon water heater is an aberation. It is slightly larger than a 50 gallon one but costs twice as much, or more. It is also slightly smaller than a 75 gallon one, but can cost at least as much. The FHR is a combination of the usuable water in the tank, plus the amount the heater can produce in an hour. Therefore, a larger tank, with the same size burner WILL have a better FHR than a smaller tank or a smaller burner. YOUR FHR has nothing to do with the number of bathrooms or how many people live in the house. IT depends on how much water your shower uses AND how long you use the shower, or the size of the bathtub if you have a bathing pool sized one.
  3. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

I recently got the 50 gallon gas BW (sorry, I don't have the model number). With anywhere from 3-7 people staying at my house bathing, doing laundry and washing dishes, it has handled the load just fine.

I got a rebate last year from So Cal Gas($30). You'll have to check your local utilities and/or gov sites to see what's available.