Bradford White RTV-75 Drain Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevink1955

Reaction score
Recently installed a RTV-75 and have a few comments/questions

The manual states that LockTite thread sealent is required on all connections yet the factory installed combination cold water supply/drain valve had none and it leaked.

Removed the valve and 3/4 pipe nipple and sealed it, OK, job done.

Then I got to thinking, how do you properly flush this tank since the cold inlet and the hose drain are in the same fitting? There is no extension of the cold into the tank so opening the drain would just cause the cold to go straight to the drain without ever entering the tank..

Only way to properly flush this thing would be to cross connect the hot and cold at the washer faucets, turn off the cold to the tank and open the drain.

Any comments, am I missing something?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The tank has a coil inside it, so to flush it, you turn on the cold water into the bottom and open a drain valve at the top so the water flushes through the coil.

Kevink1955

Reaction score
That's the same thing you are doing when you use hot water, it goes in at the bottom and comes out on top. If that's the case filling my jetted tub with a faucet that flows about 10 gpm is flushing it for me. Makes no sense to me, I would want to pull from the bottom to get rid of any sediment that is on the bottom of the tank.

Lucky for me we have very good water, my direct vented Vanguard lasted 20+ years and was still fine when I replaced it with the indirect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks