Bradford White pilot issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Dadillac

Reaction score
So we are in our home for about a year and a half now. We have a Bradford White water natural gas water heater model #MI40T6FBN. In that year and a half the pilot has gone out about 5 or 6 times. It lights back up easily and will stay on until the next time it decides to go out. What seems to be the issue? Is there a cleaning procedure that I should do? Does anyone think that maybe there is a down draft through the flue that is causing the pilot to go out? Not sure it is a mechanical issue as it isn't happening continuously. But I will accept all input from all since I am quite sure you know more about water heaters than I do. Thanks in advance

Don

Joe joe

Reaction score
Does your water heater have the cap as seen in picture. The cap where the vent pipe would attach to.

Attachments

• 21XauDxNqDL._SL1500_.jpg
    21XauDxNqDL._SL1500_.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,130

Joe joe

Reaction score
Could be thermocoupler. Or an obstruction in flue causing it to get to get too hot and shutting it down. Does the red reset buton pop out when it shuts off?

Dadillac

Reaction score
Joe Joe yes the cap is in place. And I do not see a reset button that you mention. Only two red buttons. The ignitor and temp control dial. I have been reading on thermocouplers and have read that it seems to be the most common fault. But would a thermocoupler be fine for two to five months at a time and then have an issue? Only to have another issue a few months later after running fine? That is what confuses me. When the flame goes out I have no problem relighting it. Thanks

Don

Dadillac

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot to mention about the flue. My water heater is only a foot away from my furnace unit. The flue from the water heater goes up about a foot and then runs horizontal about two or three feet and tees into the furnace flue. Not a Y shaped connection but a T. I am having no issues whatsoever with the furnace but then again it doesn't have a pilot.

Don

Dadillac

Reaction score
Okay so either last night or this morning the flame was out once again. This time I noticed the LED flashing before I relit the pilot. 7 flashes which means a gas valve fault. So would it be assumed that changing the gas valve would solve the issue? Or is there something to check/clean before considering changing the valve?

Don

Dadillac

Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I am the second owner of the heater (bought the home less than 2 years ago). Best I can figure is it is still under warranty until September. But reading Bradford White's warranty it states I must return the defective part (gas valve) to them and they will determine to repair or replace it. That would leave us with no hot water for weeks. That is completely unacceptable. Unless I read the warranty wrong. Also if I replace the valve myself the cost of the valve seems to be about half the price of a new Rheem heater from our local big box.

At any rate the pilot has stayed lit since Sunday. I do remember it being extremely windy Sunday morning. Like winds in excess of 50 mph. Maybe I encountered a back draft that caused the issue? Not sure. And if this is what is happening is there a way to remedy that so it doesn't happen in the future? My chimney does have a cap. Thanks in advance

Don

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don, from your last post, I see that you are beginning to understand how the warranty business works.
You get stuck without hot water for a long time.
This way you won't be left with no hot water, even when you are promised free parts. As a second owner, they might even refuse to honor the warranty.
So what do you do? If the WH is older than 6 years (I think yours is older than 6 yrs), replace it.

Dadillac

Reaction score
Before I replace just wondering about a few things that hopefully can be answered.

1) Does wind blowing down the flue cause the pilot to extinguish?
2) If yes, what can be done to prevent this?
3) If the wind is in fact blowing out the pilot, will the heater show the 7 lights because the flame went out?

I would think that if the gas valve was indeed faulty I should be having way more flameouts. Don't want to replace if it in fact isn't necessary. It would be a bad day if I put in the work to replace the tank only to have the same issue due to something else causing it. Thanks

Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks