Bradford White - Is a Gas Leak from Control Valve Normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnnyman7

Reaction score
Hello all,
I had a 50 gal Bradford White Natural Gas Water Heater installed about a month ago. Everything works great, except that I get a faint smell of natural gas that seems to be originating from the top right of the Control Valve/Box. You have to be within 4 inches of the Control Valve to smell it....any further away and the smell disappears. I believe the Control Valve is manufactured by Honeywell.

I was worried enough to call the Gas Company a few weeks back. They detected a very small amount of natural gas being released (something about 20???), but not enough to red-tag the appliance.

I've always been taught that ALL natural gas leaks are bad, so I then called Bradford White Tech Support. They immediately knew what I was talking about and said it was normal to smell natural gas if you put your nose up to the Control Valve. They stated that there's a relief valve in the Control Box that continuously releases a small amount of gas into the air to compensate for the difference in the natural gas pressure coming from the supply line versus what the appliance actually uses. I contested this ("aren't all natural gas leaks bad?"), but they assured me this was normal.

I'm just a Joe Schmoe homeowner, so I'm hoping for some advice:

1) Is it normal for the Control Valve to release a small amount of natural gas, or is Bradford White giving me a load of crap?
2) Is this dangerous in any way?
3) Is there anything I can do to minimize the gas being released? I was thinking of slightly closing the valve on the gas supply line to (theoretically) reduce the pressure going to the water heater, but I also don't want to mess anything up.

Thank you in advance!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You just need to call the plumber out that installed the
water heater and have him change out the control valve... it is under warranty
and if he is honest he should not mind standing behind his product...
The valve will probably start to smell worse over time but will probably not
cause any harm......

if its only a month old just have it replaced at no charge and the plumber will probably
get some sort of payment from Bradford white for the recall....

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the WH is located in a well ventilated area, you notice the smell less, but regardless, do as Mark recommends. You shouldn't shell out any money for this warranty repair.

If the original installer is a "no show", it could happen, call BW repeatedly and have them recommend a plumber. In some instances they might just supply the part but not labor. Be a pest.

In general, many gas appliances and gas connectors do actually leak, but as the Gas Company rep said, "not enough to red tag it". For some people, this is not the right answer. If you can fix it, do it.

Johnnyman7

Reaction score
Thank you both for your advice!

I think the problem is that I did call Bradford White and they stated that it's normal for the Control Valve to purge a small amount of gas. Since it's the normal operation of the unit, they're saying that there's no warranty claim to be made. I find that extremely odd, but that's what I was told.

I could call them back and be a pest - that's an option. The other option is to call the gas company out again and have them red-tag the thing, which would force Bradford White's hand. I'd have to find another plumber to install the Control Valve (I don't trust the plumber who did the original installation), and would obviously have to pay out-of-pocket.

If Bradford White is correct though - and the Control Valve is working as normal - then replacing it wouldn't do anything, right? It would still leak a small amount of gas, only I'd be out a few hundred dollars for the installation of the new valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
I could call them back and be a pest - that's an option.
Colorado allows you to record the conversation that you have with them.
They stated that there's a relief valve in the Control Box that continuously releases a small amount of gas into the air to compensate for the difference in the natural gas pressure coming from the supply line versus what the appliance actually uses.
I find that statement about the intentional release to be unbelievable. I am not a pro. Nobody agreed that statement, if I follow correctly. I think they said that a very small leak is not dangerous.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I was thinking of slightly closing the valve on the gas supply line to (theoretically) reduce the pressure going to the water heater, but I also don't want to mess anything up.

I would not do that. :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Closing a valve in a fluid (gas is a fluid in the large scheme of things) does NOTHING to change the pressure in a CLOSED system. Because you decrease the maximum flow (increase resistance), WORKING pressure, when the fluid is moving, will go down after the restriction. Same idea between flow through say a soda straw verses a fire hose...same pressure, vastly different flow.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Call BW again. Do you know what a pest is? 3 calls a day. Don't stop calling till you get their attention.
Tell them that you want a new gas valve. Most of them are less than $100 retail, but pennies to BW. Installation will be on you.

Water heater manufacturers often ignore warranty claims. They even moved their customer service to INDIA, so that don't hear ranting customers. But the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have never seen a valve that did not smell of gas.

There is un-burnt gas every time the burner lights.

If it was not safe the gas company would have red tagged it.

Deborah Berry

Reaction score
Hello all,
I had a 50 gal Bradford White Natural Gas Water Heater installed about a month ago. Everything works great, except that I get a faint smell of natural gas that seems to be originating from the top right of the Control Valve/Box. You have to be within 4 inches of the Control Valve to smell it....any further away and the smell disappears. I believe the Control Valve is manufactured by Honeywell.

I was worried enough to call the Gas Company a few weeks back. They detected a very small amount of natural gas being released (something about 20???), but not enough to red-tag the appliance.

I've always been taught that ALL natural gas leaks are bad, so I then called Bradford White Tech Support. They immediately knew what I was talking about and said it was normal to smell natural gas if you put your nose up to the Control Valve. They stated that there's a relief valve in the Control Box that continuously releases a small amount of gas into the air to compensate for the difference in the natural gas pressure coming from the supply line versus what the appliance actually uses. I contested this ("aren't all natural gas leaks bad?"), but they assured me this was normal.

I'm just a Joe Schmoe homeowner, so I'm hoping for some advice:

1) Is it normal for the Control Valve to release a small amount of natural gas, or is Bradford White giving me a load of crap?
2) Is this dangerous in any way?
3) Is there anything I can do to minimize the gas being released? I was thinking of slightly closing the valve on the gas supply line to (theoretically) reduce the pressure going to the water heater, but I also don't want to mess anything up.

Thank you in advance!

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A faulty Control Valve is not a normal replacement. It's just normal for Bradford White products. Take it back if you can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks