Bradford White Hot Water Heater Pilot Flame

What causes the pilot flame to go out despite a good flame sensor?

• Flame Sensor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pressure Switch

• Gas Pressure

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Gervan Williams

Reaction score
I have a Bradford White hot water heater model MITW50L6CX12, propane gas type. This is an automatic igniter/flame sensor combo with a SV9501 Honeywell valve. A few weeks ago the pilot heat started going out after the heating cycle completes. Situation: It started out where the burner flame was low and was not heating the water. I removed the burner plate and blew out any dust and rust with an air can. I also vacuumed out under the tank. Incredibly, the condition was pretty good under the tank...little to no rusts for a 10-year old system. I replaced everything and everything runs fine. Pilot flame lights, and the burner lights up and runs for however long needed to heat the tank. Once the cycle completes and the burner shuts off, the pilot flame also shuts off. When this happens I turn off the gas and unplug the unit to prevent gas from flowing. After 15min to 1 hour I can plug it back in, turn on the gas and it starts up again and runs. Again, the unit would shut down once the cycle completes, and the pilot flame is out. I ordered a new ignitor/sensor combo (239-40918-00), thinking it was the flame sensor, but this did not solve the problem. I've had Horizon Services come out and check and according to them the valve is OK, and they cannot determine the problem. But they suggest possibly changing the pressure switch, and question mark around the valve. To make clear, the system runs great, except the pilot flame goes out at the end of every cycle. Restarting in works fine after the reset period ends. I need some advice about this. One thing I noticed is that the pilot flame is very strong, and even though I tried adjusting it with the screw, it does not change. I think this is because it is all automatic. I figure if I can lower the pilot flame (flow pressure) this might allow the flame to remain on when the main burner shuts off. Please provide any advice. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Once the cycle completes and the burner shuts off, the pilot flame also shuts off. When this happens I turn off the gas and unplug the unit to prevent gas from flowing. After 15min to 1 hour I can plug it back in, turn on the gas and it starts up again and runs. Again, the unit would shut down once the cycle completes, and the pilot flame is out.

No solution from me. I did not even know that water heaters had pressure sensors. I found this video which describes your unit, but it does not present a solution for you:

It was made by somebody who could not even light the pilot successfully. Is the pressure switch located on top? Is that one of the white/white or red/white pairs that I see in the video? Those lines look like they could be usefully probed by somebody who knows what they are.

I think you are saying that if you try to re-light the pilot after just a minute, it will not light? I would think that may mean something useful for troubleshooting to somebody. To me it just sounds mysterious.

I don't think that you need to unplug the unit to keep gas from flowing. After the pilot goes out, the system will stop the gas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your WH is still under warranty, call BW. It could be the gas valve.

If it's out of warranty, replace the 10 year old water heater. Sometimes it's cheaper to replace the unit than trying to fix it. Parts are expensive.

Gervan Williams

Reaction score
-SOLVED-
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I've been researching this topic for several weeks, as well as had technicians come out to troubleshoot the "problem", but, in this instance it may have been a chase down the rabbit hole thing. I called a company and demanded an "experienced technician" rather than a "trained" one. They sent me out someone with over 20 years experience with all types of hot water heaters. After I told him the model and unit type, without even seeing the unit he concludes that my unit is completely automatic and the pilot heat does not remain on when the unit is off. The igniter/flame sensor/pilot combination works in that the pilot flame is ignited only to light the burner, then when the cycle completes it will completely shutdown until the thermostat calls for heat again. Now, WHY SEVERAL TECHNICIANS AND ONLINE FORUMS COULD NOT TELL ME THIS is mind boggling. This is why it is important to have experienced technicians visit your home. I don't know how many types of hot water heaters out there, but every video I've seen, and gas valves I've seen all require manual re-ignition and for the pilot flame to remain on. This is what initiated the first phone call to a technician. THEY advised me to unplug the unit after it cycles and the pilot flame goes out because I can blow up my house. All of the follow-up phone calls and advice, as well as house visits and it was a simple understanding of how THIS MODEL, and THIS gas valve, and THIS pilot assembly works.

I left the unit on yesterday and it cycles through, shutdown, and I waited for 30 minutes. It started right back up with no problem.

Conclusion: Find someone to service your appliances/units who not only knows how to fix units, but who also knows about how a unit functions based on its design/manufacturer/model. I bought and replaced a flame sensor/igniter that I didn't need. I went through the headaches of dealing with technicians who weren't familiar with the model I have, and the frustration of trying not to be ripped off for unnecessary house visits and work.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Gervan Williams

Reaction score
If your WH is still under warranty, call BW. It could be the gas valve.

If it's out of warranty, replace the 10 year old water heater. Sometimes it's cheaper to replace the unit than trying to fix it. Parts are expensive.

I've lived in the house for 5 years, and it was built 10 years ago. I discovered that it is the original hot water heater, and that the warranty expired. I'll be replacing the unit soon, even though it looks in amazing condition.

Gervan Williams

Reaction score
No solution from me. I did not even know that water heaters had pressure sensors. I found this video which describes your unit, but it does not present a solution for you:

It was made by somebody who could not even light the pilot successfully. Is the pressure switch located on top? Is that one of the white/white or red/white pairs that I see in the video? Those lines look like they could be usefully probed by somebody who knows what they are.

I think you are saying that if you try to re-light the pilot after just a minute, it will not light? I would think that may mean something useful for troubleshooting to somebody. To me it just sounds mysterious.

I don't think that you need to unplug the unit to keep gas from flowing. After the pilot goes out, the system will stop the gas.

Thanks. The last part of what you say is true. It turns out that it does indeed shut off the gas when it shuts down. The confusion lies in whether or not the pilot flame should be out after the shutdown.

Gervan Williams

Reaction score
http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/default/files/product_literature/44943-D.pdf suggests checking the vent system on page 4. Pages 5, 6 have LED flashing interpretation.

Also http://www.manualslib.com/manual/787959/Bradford-White-Tw-Series.html?page=13 may be useful. At the bottom, you can then click 14, 15, etc.

Thanks for your response. It turns out that this model I have is SV9501 valve and it precedes the newer versions that have the LED indicators on them. So, when I upgrade to a new hot water heater, I expect it to have the newer valves.

Khinanight

Reaction score
-SOLVED-
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I've been researching this topic for several weeks, as well as had technicians come out to troubleshoot the "problem", but, in this instance it may have been a chase down the rabbit hole thing. I called a company and demanded an "experienced technician" rather than a "trained" one. They sent me out someone with over 20 years experience with all types of hot water heaters. After I told him the model and unit type, without even seeing the unit he concludes that my unit is completely automatic and the pilot heat does not remain on when the unit is off. The igniter/flame sensor/pilot combination works in that the pilot flame is ignited only to light the burner, then when the cycle completes it will completely shutdown until the thermostat calls for heat again. Now, WHY SEVERAL TECHNICIANS AND ONLINE FORUMS COULD NOT TELL ME THIS is mind boggling. This is why it is important to have experienced technicians visit your home. I don't know how many types of hot water heaters out there, but every video I've seen, and gas valves I've seen all require manual re-ignition and for the pilot flame to remain on. This is what initiated the first phone call to a technician. THEY advised me to unplug the unit after it cycles and the pilot flame goes out because I can blow up my house. All of the follow-up phone calls and advice, as well as house visits and it was a simple understanding of how THIS MODEL, and THIS gas valve, and THIS pilot assembly works.

I left the unit on yesterday and it cycles through, shutdown, and I waited for 30 minutes. It started right back up with no problem.

Conclusion: Find someone to service your appliances/units who not only knows how to fix units, but who also knows about how a unit functions based on its design/manufacturer/model. I bought and replaced a flame sensor/igniter that I didn't need. I went through the headaches of dealing with technicians who weren't familiar with the model I have, and the frustration of trying not to be ripped off for unnecessary house visits and work.

THANKS EVERYONE![/QUOTE

I come onto this site infrequently and wish I caught this one sooner. Yes all the new waterheaters produce today are super efficient and clean to operate. That's why they all have electronic ignition and no pilot lights, at least for the ones in Southern California, LNOX. It is strange through that none of the trained technicians did not know about the no pilot flame. I am in sales and that is one of the things I learn during product training.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Kicking at an old thread I had not seen previously, but my first thought was "why would it have a standing pilot light AND an ignitor?". There would be no reason to have both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks