Brad White water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

fozzy12

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Bradford White water heater model MI75S5CN10. We had very windy conditions here over the weekend and the pilot blew out. I noticed a gas smell when this happened. The main burner and pilot were out. How long should it take the gas flow to the pilot to stop after the flame goes out? Is there a way to check to see if the controls are working properly? It relit ok and continues to function what appears to be normally. Should I put a different vent cap on the vent, possibly one of the ones designed for a windy area. It's a new install, (the water heater is used) including the vent pipe and it just has a standard cap on it now.

Also is there any way to check the thermostat?

Thanks

Eric

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the pilot blew out I'd have some concerns about CO and would check out the draft. You would check the thermostat with a thermometer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pilot

If the pilot goes out while the burner is running, it should relight, and if not the burner flame would continue until the gas was turned off, so there would be no outward signs of the pilot failure. The time to shut down the system depends on how long it takes the thermocouple to cool down, and if the burner is running it will take longer than if there is no flame, but again the only gas not burned would be from the pilot during that time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks