Boy dies in Septic tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get obama to make this law .RIGHT NOW......

Refuse permits to build new houses that are not on a public sewer then, and ban wells while we are at it.

It's time for subsidies.

We shouldn't be dumping poo in this part of the back yard and drinking water from the other part of the back yard in this day and age.

I want my water charges to subsidize the development of water and sewer infrastructure in remote parts of the country.

Sorry to hear about the child that died..

But surely you are jokeing in your statement...???

perhaps we could get he government to deal with
this septic tank problem throughout the country....

perhaps it could be added to the health care package

It could cost trillioins of dollars, it might be unfeasabel to do, but its better than having poop in the back yard ...right??

why not just simply make it code to put a lock on the top of the every sistern and septic tank
so it cant be taken off by accident???

(no thats too easy )

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I was not joking Mark. I was trying to think up solutions. Surely it's time to update this archaic system.

I was not suggesting all septics and wells be banned, just that new-builds are more heavilly scrutinized.

You will always need septics and wells in very remote areas, particularly on steep hills, where the cost of running public utilities is prohibitive.

But the guy who wants to build a house anywhere should be encouraged to locate that on public sewer. I do not want his poop in the woods just because he wanted a log cabin to take his wife and kids there on summer hols, draining the local water table.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian...in life you don't spend billions of $$$ to save 1 life when there are safe guards in place that already protect people...Septic tank lids are so heavy that most need to be pried off with a 4' pry bar and weigh, I am going to guess, between 50 and 100#...and most are covered with dirt and grass....if that is not enough to keep a kid out you don't spend billions to fix a preceived problem...you find out how the 4 year old got in...

There is more to this story than you have read...your knee jerk reaction is wrong...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not allowed to vote as a non-US citizen. It's quite funny actually because my Town claims not to discriminate on the basis of color, religion, ****** orientation, disability etc. etc. but in the small print says you must be a US citizen to stand for mayor.

So a gay, American of Asian decent, with one arm who was both blind and Jewish can be mayor where I live, but I as a European passport holder I absolutely cannot. I am not even allowed to vote in Town elections for councilors.

Once again, while this is the Land of the Free, it's not quite as Free as you think it is.

Which makes me laugh when I see people worried on TV that health reform will mean giving taxpayer-paid health to illegals! Yeah right. I can't even vote in a Town election and I am here legally!

All immigrants do in America is pay your taxes. Like you did for us when this place was the United Colonies. So, we're even.

The reason foreigners can't is so the government can't be over thrown by foreigners...but I guess that is to hard for you to figure out and that is why your not allowed to vote...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The reason foreigners can't is so the government can't be over thrown by foreigners...but I guess that is to hard for you to figure out and that is why your not allowed to vote...

I'd best start having lots of babies here then. We'll get there in the end!

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Ian...in life you don't spend billions of $$$ to save 1 life when there are safe guards in place that already protect people...Septic tank lids are so heavy that most need to be pried off with a 4' pry bar and weigh, I am going to guess, between 50 and 100#...and most are covered with dirt and grass....if that is not enough to keep a kid out you don't spend billions to fix a preceived problem...you find out how the 4 year old got in...

My last septic had fiberglass screw in lids
Much lighter, I'm not sure how hard they were to screw/unscrew as I never had to touch them
I do agree that the problem is not the septic
Much the same as leaving a fridge out with the door on
Or the child that crawled into the trunk of a car & died
You can't prevent every tragedy from happening

And this is being investigated as a homicide
Which means someone killed him & PUT him in the septic tank

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
OK. I suppose I am just a septic sceptic.

If people want to keep poop in their back yard, then it's up to them.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
IAN >>>>HAVE SOME BABIES like the illegal aliens do

I'd best start having lots of babies here then. We'll get there in the end!

maybe you cant become a citizen,
but all you got to do is reproduce and if it falls out on its head on US soil
9 months from now.....

he or she gets Social Security,
and every other benefit it can squeeze from the soon bankrupt system
and when you get older you can sponge off your kids...

the mexicans got that figured out already...

Ian
they calim that if all the illegal aliens reproduce,
eventually they will have a large enough voteing block to vote themselves all the benefits they feel they deserve... of course that will bankrupt the democracy.....

but you will have your benefits ....for a while....

and justly so

Cookie

Reaction score
My grandparents reproduced and had my mom here, has everyone gone crazy here? People are entitled to their opinions here, without such a reprimand.
Plus, the lid on the top of this tank was made from pretty much foil, OR something light in nature; and that is why the brick was on top of it. If anyone knows anything about kids, and kids playing hide and go seek, they love to hide anywhere and everywhere, hiding underground would be especially enticing.

In my opinion, this was an accident.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org

It all has to go somewhere for further processing, and septic tanks have their place.

One of my brothers has a house in the Florida Keys, a 120-mile-long string of islands going from Florida City (south of Miami) out into the Gulf of Mexico. He has a septic tank and drain field in his private yard, but he does get fresh water from the Florida Keys Aquaduct Authority. Some folks there use RO systems to get drinking water from the ocean and/or from rain water in cisterns. In Key West, however, at least the last I knew, poop coming into the municipal system was being pumped about two miles out where the Gulf Stream can carry it away. Hopefully some new system has since been implemented for folks who do not have room on their properties for septic tanks!

delta d

Reaction score
That would have had to have been a old tank. Most tanks are shape like coffin and the assessable opening is not large enough for a 4 year old.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it would had been because this area is an old area and rural, not impoverished just old.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com

I'd rather see it buried in the back yard then pumped out into the Ocean
Heavy rains untreated overflow goes into the ocean & beach areas here
Swimming in raw sewage...oh yay

Until recently it was much worse
But they built a 9 mile pipe & pump most of it out to sea further now

Yeah - the older cement covers there is no way a 4 year old could move it

But was it a heavy concrete cover? Maybe not ?

GREEN, Pa. -- The attorney for the father of a 4-year old boy found dead in a septic tank told Channel 4 Action News a judge has ordered the boy's two siblings to be removed from the family's home.

The attorney said the judge made the ruling on Tuesday, even though the two children, ages 3 and 6, were taken into state custody on Saturday.

A neighbor told Channel 4 Action News' Ashlie Hardaway the tank was being serviced prior to Wyatt's disappearance.

Channel 4 was there on Saturday when crews brought state police a thin metal sheet that neighbors said was the lid for that septic tank.

Last edited:

46&2

Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the septic process as an effective means of sewage treatment; however like ANY "system" it needs to be properly designed, installed, and maintained; if done properly it will work as designed for decades; conversely, a poorly designed, installed, or maintained system can be damaging to the environment. The septic process may be old, but it is definitely not "archaic" and Centralized Sewage Treatment is not without its disadvantages (to the environment and those who live close to a Treatment Plant).
You have obviously never lived near a Sewage Treatment Plant; I would rather "keep poop in [my] back yard" than have to live my days smelling yours and everyone else's!

If you have ever been involved in the installation, maintenance, or repair of a septic system you know that there is a good deal of state and local regulation involved in setting up a new system or repairing/updating an existing one, at least that has been my experience as a homeowner.

I grew up with municipal water and sewer, however my family always had a cottage somewhere which utilized a well and septic. My dad taught me how to manage a well and septic system as a kid; I think it has given me a greater appreciation of my impact on the environment and conservation in general, for which I am thankful.

My first house had a septic system and municipal water. I already knew how to manage the system when I moved in, but I realized that I didn't really know how the system worked, so I took the time to learn, and I appreciate it even more now.

I have a well and septic at my current home, and I take good care of them both.
As a matter of fact my well water consistently tests cleaner than local municipal water AND bottled Spring Water!

-- Ian, most of your comments seem to be devoid of reason, however I believe you make a point about the new housing developments and their use of septic; I feel as though there should be more effort put into system design and capacity planning in the new communities popping up all over the place, the EPA agrees, they are taking steps to help raise awareness and ensure that both new and existing septic systems are handled properly.

Here is some good info on septic systems according to the EPA, have a look at their "Voluntary National Guidelines for Management of Onsite and Clustered (Decentralized) Wastewater Treatment Systems"
http://cfpub.epa.gov/owm/septic/septic.cfm?page_id=261#364

Pour yourself a nice tall glass of tap water, sit back in your favorite chair and have a look at this.
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4914475_municipal-water-treatment-work.html

Centralized Sewage Treatment - This is just one example....google around a bit... there are plenty more where this came from.
http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/Biology/Harbour/SEWAGE/CSO.HTM

On another note...
If you feel as though you would like to contribute to the democratic process in the U.S., you should take the necessary steps to do so.

The U.S. is no different than many countries in this respect, you pretty much need to be a naturalized citizen in order to vote, either locally or nationally. I know this to be fact for the U.K.; I know several people personally who have gone through this process (some to the U.S. and some to the U.K.) and all of them found it to be frustrating at times, but rewarding overall.

http://www.workpermit.com/us/citizenship.htm
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400.pdf

As far as the original context of this thread goes (the boy who died in the septic tank), I surely hope that the little guy was not murdered, that hurts my soul to think about, but I can't speculate. It's sad either way, I feel for his family; I have three little boys and I just can't imagine the loss. My prayers will be with them.

Anyway.....
Have a good night all!
Matt

46&2

Reaction score
That would have had to have been a old tank. Most tanks are shape like coffin and the assessable opening is not large enough for a 4 year old.

Your thinking of a D box...

Not necessarily. Last year I put a small septic system toward the back of my property for my Dad's RV; The smallest concrete tank I could buy was 250Gal. It is rectangular maybe 3x4x3 and it has a 12x12 square opening in the top. All of my boys could easily fit through the opening and my oldest is 10.

A typical tank for a three bedroom home is 1000gal, and all of the concrete tanks we looked at (1000gal and up) had a 2' round opening in the top. They are rectangular as well; like a casket; coffin is an "archaic" term ;) (my family owned and operated funeral homes for over 100 years)

The tank that services my house is concrete and has the same 2' opening.

So I suppose it depends on the manufacturer, and type of tank, there are many out there.

Matt

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
A typical tank for a three bedroom home is 1000gal, and all of the concrete tanks we looked at (1000gal and up) had a 2' round opening in the top. They are rectangular as well ...

Yes. I work for a tank manufacturer, and I could easily fit through the opening of every size we make.

Along with the weight of the lid as a safety factor, there are other "child guards" available. One I know about is a plastic grate that can be bolted down, and the other is made with nylon line and looks like a bit like a spider's web.

Cookie

Reaction score
Also, mild in regards to his usual posts of insults and personal attacks, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks