box fill for metal 42 cu in box

Users who are viewing this thread

Antonio4791

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm adding 4 new circuits to my main panel for a kitchen remodel. To get the new wires from the panel into my house, I added a new conduit from the panel which enters into my crawl space. The new conduit goes to a junction box. I will have 4 hots, 4 neutrals and 4 grounds coming into this box, via the conduit (1 inch EMT). Going out of the junction box I will have 4 romex cables (going to the 4 new circuits).

I have a 42 cubic inch metal box. There is nothing in the box other than spliced wire and wire nuts. I think this should be OK. Here is my calculation:

I have 8 hots, 8 neutrals and 8 grounds in the box. The grounds as a whole count as one conductor. The 8 hots and 8 neutrals add to 16 conductors. That's a total of 17 conductors. To my knowledge each 12 awg wire counts as 2.25 cu inch. So I have 17 x 2.25 = 38.25. So I think I should be fine. Can someone confirm this.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I have 8 hots, 8 neutrals and 8 grounds in the box. The grounds as a whole count as one conductor. The 8 hots and 8 neutrals add to 16 conductors. That's a total of 17 conductors. To my knowledge each 12 awg wire counts as 2.25 cu inch. So I have 17 x 2.25 = 38.25. So I think I should be fine. Can someone confirm this.

Your math is correct.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
You could have used one ground wire from the panel, but the math is correct, just like Mike said.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks