Bought an Oatey 43401 to raise my flange, stem too large to fit in pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Szumi

Reaction score
Hi. My first post here. I put tile in my bath room which raised the floor about 3/4". I bought the Oatey 43401 kit to extend the toilet flange. Sadly, the waste piping is slightly smaller so the stem of the kit won't insert. This is a modular home from the 80's.

What should I do, or buy?

Thanks,

Szumi

Szumi

Reaction score
Replying to my own post. Since this is a modular home, it has ABS and it isn't the same as pvc. Evidently the id is a bit smaller than PVC. No surprise there, everything in this thing is a bit off normal. Doors, water heaters, ect. Biggest mistake of my life. I wasn't planning to stay here forever but life happens.

So now I'm thinking an Oatey 43645 and 43519 and some good silicone. I have screws from the 43401 kit to screw them together. The screws are self drilling. Is the existing abs flange tolerant to being threaded.

Second question, what is the best way to clean the remnants of the old wax ring so the silicone makes a great bond?

Any preferences for the silicone?

Thanks,

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
pvc and abs should be the same dimensions. no pictures its probebly a 3 inch abs ring with ID at 3 inches

Szumi

Reaction score
I measured down the hole, it was big enough but there is a lip. Figured out it was part of the old wax ring and pulled it out. The first kit will fit.

I already ordered spacers you use silicone with so now I need to decide which kit to use. The foam gasket that seals on the stem looks a bit iffy to me, spacers and silicone seems less likely to leak.

Since I'll have both, which would you use?

As you may be figuring out this is the first time I've dealt with toilets, flanges, and wax rings.

Thanks,

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your question about threading those self tappers into the existing abs flange is legit ! plastic typicaly isnt that good for that. but... If the plastic ring is rock solidly attached to floor and you can get the new Extra long closet bolts to go through all the rings and spacers and you try the self tappers and dont strip them out perhaps by pre drilling you might be ok. I would prefer your screws go down into blocking beaneath the floor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks